What should I look for with business liability insurance?
A good liability insurer should pay towards your legal costs for defending any claim made against you, insure you for compensation claims made against you, and offer you both public and employers' liability insurance as a package, if you need bothMaxine Frances, journalist
Is your business protected with employers' liability cover?
If an employee is injured or they contract a disease as a result of, or in the course of their employment, they are entitled to claim compensation from the business if it can be proven that the employer was at fault. Employers' liability covers the cost of the compensation along with any legal fees you might incur if you had to defend the case against youGocompare.com
What does public liability insurance cover?
Public liability insurance protects you from claims against your business by members of the public. For example, if you damage a client's property, if a customer has an accident on your premises, or if you provide any advice or service for a feeMaxine Frances, journalist
How much does liability insurance cost?
Most liability cover is based on an annual fee, how much you pay will depend on the size and nature of your business and how many employees you have. It will make a difference if you are a sole trader, partnership or limited company. Your premium may change if you make more claims or if the nature of your industry changesMaxine Frances, journalist
How long does liability insurance offer protection for?
Check your terms and conditions, but some insurers will cover you for incidents before and after the start and end date of your policy. This is important if you're working in an industry where results tend to be measured in the long rather than the short termMaxine Frances, journalist
Does your car insurance cover your business usage?
If workers use their own cars while on company business, no matter how infrequently, we would urge them to check their policy to make sure they are properly insured. Employers should talk to workers about the necessity of having the correct level of cover before they undertake any business journeys in a private carScott Kelly, head of motor services at Gocompare.com
Why choose Gocompare.com's business insurance comparison service?
With Gocompare.com you can buy the right business insurance quickly, easily and at the right price, leaving you more time for the things that make your business great
All UK-based employers are required by law to have employers' liability insurance
- Business insurance guide
- Business insurance FAQs
- Do I need business or private van insurance?
- Tenancy deposit protection schemes
To buy business insurance online
- Complete an online form and select your cover levels
- Compare quotes to find the right policy and price for your needs
- Choose a policy, buy online or set up a direct debit to pay
- Any questions, speak to a consultant from Simply Business*
Did you know...?
- Drivers need to extend their private car insurance to include business use if they drive to company sites other than their usual place of work
- Private drivers may not be covered if they travel to a work training course, a company away day, or even if they make a business trip to the bank or post office
- Employers' liability insurance is compulsory for businesses that have one or more staff
- Glass and shutters insurance can cover replacement following accidental or malicious damage
Our preferred provider
We’ve partnered with Simply Business* our preferred provider for landlord insurance, to help you find the right policy at the right price