Stand and deliver

Covered mag, presented by Gocompare.com
  • | by Kristian Dando
Dick Turpin , Falstaff, Macheath, and, er, Adam Ant – all famous highwaymen of some sort or another. But according to a new report from the Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM), the biggest latter day culprit of ‘highway robbery’ is the government itself. At least the other lot had good clothes…. The report, Motoring Taxation and Public Spending, reckons that motorists are paying through the nose in road tax and seeing disproportionately low benefits in return. The IAM reckons that only about 38 per cent of the cost of petrol and diesel actually goes on the fuel itself, with the other 62 per cent going on tax. The government receives revenues of around £43bn from motorists every year through taxation, but despite this, only spends around £12.5bn of this on roads and local public transport. IAM director of policy and research Neil Greig said: “Using so little of the taxes motorists pay on road upkeep is plainly unfair.  Motorists are also paying the price as Britain’s potholed and increasingly dangerous roads take their toll, damaging tyres, wheels, steering and suspension. Cuts are clearly going to have an impact on transport investment, but as more roads become more potholed and dangerous, spending on infrastructure now will save money in the long-term.”