Whether you’re a light or heavy internet user, Virgin Media has a broadband package that suits you. Discover more about Virgin Media and their promise for ‘ultra-fast, ultra-reliable broadband.’
- Virgin Media has an average speed of 362Mbps on their top tier package
- Its top speeds come from its use of coaxial cables between homes and the local exchange
- You can combine your broadband, TV and landline to see if you can save money on a bundled deal
Although you can get Virgin Media services across most of the UK, the performance improves drastically in places where Virgin has been able to lay its own fibre-optic cables. This allows the company to offer broadband services without line rental, which can make the deals cheaper.
However, there are places where Virgin Media can't be accessed, and customers may be charged an exit fee should they move to such a place.
As part of Virgin Media’s Project Lightning upgrades, the network is beginning to expand across the more rural areas of the UK, starting with Hampshire’s Dun Valley in 2018. You can use Virgin Media’s postcode checker to see what services are available in your area.
While the ultrafast speeds Virgin advertise seem great, it’s important to remember that your connection will not always reach those speeds . As Virgin Media have stated, their advertised download and upload speeds are so they are not guaranteed. Advertised ‘up to’ speeds aren’t a guarantee of the actual speed you’ll get.
Virgin Media broadband deals
Virgin Media’s broadband deals start by offering speeds up to 50Mbps, all the way up to 362Mbps. The faster the advertised speed, the more expensive it’ll be.
At no extra cost, Virgin also offers ‘inclusives’ which are perks that customers can enjoy. Some inclusive offers are:
- TV Go - TV Go is an app for your phone or tablet that allows you to watch TV wherever and whenever you like using the internet
- TV Control – Another app. This one connects to your Virgin TV box and allows you to set and manage your recordings
- Wi-fi on the Tube - Stay connected to the Wi-fi on the London Underground
Customers can also take out extras on top of their broadband packages, for an additional cost.
For example, the HomeWorks package is targeted at those who work from home or run a home-based business. It offers engineer call outs with next day priority, as well as a bi-annual equipment health check from the Gadget Rescue team.
If your wi-fi needs a boost, you can also buy a powerline kit to help boost the signal throughout the house. It won’t make the upload or download speeds any faster, but it should help resolve the problem of any wi-fi blackspots your house may have.
Virgin Media bundles
Virgin Media also offers customers the option to bundle their broadband in with TV packages and a landline phone.
The bundles differ widely in what they offer. Virgin offer 4 major bundle packages:
- Big Bundle - Includes over 110 channels, 213Mbps and inclusive weekend calls to UK landlines and Virgin mobile numbers.
- Bigger Bundle - Includes over 220 channels, ultrafast broadband of 213Mbps and inclusive weekend calls.
- Bigger Bundle + Movies - Includes over 250 channels, 108Mbps broadband and inclusive weekend calls.
- Ultimate Oomph Bundle - Includes over 270 channels, ultrafast broadband speeds of 516Mbps, inclusive anytime calls to any UK number and unlimited SIM card.
Is Virgin Media any good?
Ofcom produced a report in April 2019 showing overall consumer satisfaction with its providers. Virgin Media was awarded 85% in the consumer satisfaction section. Don’t rely too heavily on reviews and ratings though – it's best to do your own research.
While Virgin Media may seem the ideal choice, it’s worth shopping around to find the best broadband for your needs. Read our helpful guide on how to choose your broadband provider or start comparing broadband packages today.
 Correct as of 3 March 2020