GoCompare uses cookies. By using the website you agree with our use of cookies. Continue Find out how to manage cookies and view our policy here

Catering business insurance

Compare business insurance to see what’s right for your catering company, with Simply Business[1]

  • What kind of liability cover do you need? 
  • Are there any insurance requirements for catering businesses?
  • Find out about commercial buildings and contents insurance


On your marks. Get set. Bake! with catering business insurance

Do you cater for parties, corporate events, festivals or weddings? If so, you might want to take a look at insurance for your catering business. 

Key points

  • There are three types of liability cover: public, product and employers’
  • Employers’ liability is a legal requirement if you have any staff
  • Don’t forget to make sure your catering vehicle is insured for business use or your risk voiding your vehicle insurance!

Most people love watching cooking shows like The Great British Bake Off and Masterchef, and it’s often said the kitchen is the heart of the home. By that logic, the catering must be the piece de resistance of any event.  

Having good food at a party or an office away-day can make or break the event. And if you own the business responsible for providing said feast, you don’t want things to turn into a recipe for disaster.  

Just in case they do, enter catering business insurance!  

What insurance do you need for a catering business? 

With any type of insurance, there’s usually lots of different options. It’s no different for business insurance. But luckily, we’re here to help.  


You might want to consider commercial buildings insurance, public, product and employers’ liability, vehicle cover for business use, and professional indemnity cover.  

The specific requirements of your business insurance will depend on the type of catering company you have. Whether it’s mobile, fixed, niche or has lots of employees, you’ll need to take these factors into account.  

There’s no use crying over spilt milk, so it may be a good idea to consider these types of protection before something goes wrong.  

Liability insurance for catering businesses 

There are three types of liability insurance: 
  • Public liability – this will protect your business if a member of the public is injured or their property is damaged because of the business. 
  • Product liability – if someone is ill because of a product you've sold, this'll help you out. 
  • Employers’ liability – a legal requirement if you have any employees. This'll protect your employees and business if a member of staff is injured or becomes ill due to their work.  

Commercial buildings insurance and business assets  

If you have a permanent kitchen or fixed premises for your catering business, you may want to look at getting some commercial buildings insurance.  

Like with home insurance, if you rent the building space, your landlord has the responsibility of insuring the premises. All you’d need to consider would be cover for your business contents.  

Business assets insurance will protect things like your kitchen equipment and business goods.  

Vehicle cover for business use 

If you intend to use your car, truck or van to transport staff or goods for your catering business, you’ll need to make sure your vehicle insurance includes business use. Without it, your cover could be void.  

Want to transform your van into a mobile kitchen to cater for events on site? You’ll need to find a specialist insurance policy that will cover a mobile catering van.  

Professional indemnity cover  

Do you offer catering advice? How about handling the intellectual property of customers or other businesses?  

If so, you might benefit from having professional indemnity insurance, which would protect you if a client thinks you’ve been negligent and wants to stir the pot.  

Other things to consider 

As well as sorting out your catering business insurance, hiring staff and thinking about your menu, there are other things you might want to take into account to be a star baker (or caterer in this case). 

Did you know...?

Some clients will insist upon seeing a food hygiene certificate before working with you

For any catering business, it’s important to have a registered kitchen with suitable storage and a food hygiene certificate. 

An alcohol licence might also be worth chewing over, as well as how you’re going to address food allergies and meal labelling.  

Transporting food and providing silverware, glassware, plates, bowls, napkins and table decorations for your customers are also components of most catering businesses.  

To get cheaper catering business insurance quotes, you could try combining some of your cover options, maintaining a good health and safety record and comparing different insurance providers.  

Bon appetit!  

Last updated on 27 Mar 2018