Additional driver car insurance

Get quotes for car insurance with named drivers added to your policy

Get car insurance

[1] Up to £250 refunded after claim settled. Car insurance purchases only. Excludes breakdown, windscreen and glass repair/replacement. Full T&Cs apply.

What’s named driver insurance?

Named driver insurance (sometimes called additional driver insurance) is cover for extra drivers added to your car insurance policy.

There are many reasons to add extra drivers to your car insurance policy. Children driving a parent’s car now and again is a common example, and many drivers share vehicles with family or friends.

Lots of motorists believe that if the additional driver has their own fully comprehensive car insurance, they'll be covered to drive your vehicle on a third party only basis - but this assumption is frequently wrong.

To make sure your additional driver is covered, you can add them to your policy (usually for an admin fee) or they could take out their own temporary car insurance.

Does adding additional drivers make your insurance cheaper?

If your additional driver has years of experience and claim-free driving, this could work in your favour - because it will lower your risk to the insurer.

This works both ways though. If you add someone to your insurance who has just passed their test, or has motoring convictions, your insurance premiums will probably go up.

51% of customers could save up to £247 with GoCompare car insurance[2]

See if you could save

How to add extra drivers to your car insurance

It's very simple, but there are some important considerations before you get started.

First of all, you’ll need permission from the driver you want to add. Once you have this, there are two different routes.

1) If you’re renewing your policy

When we compare quotes for you, we’ll ask for certain information to help find the right insurance. We’ll ask if there are any additional drivers you want to put on your policy, and you can usually add up to four.

2) If you’ve already got car insurance

Contact your insurer and tell them you want to add an additional driver. Just be aware that they might make you pay a fee for making changes to your policy, even if the price of your premium itself is unaffected.

What information will the insurer need?

Make sure you tell your insurer if your named driver has ever had any accidents or motoring convictions. Otherwise you could invalidate your policy.

If the named driver has their own car insurance, they’ll also need to tell their own insurer that they’re a named driver on another vehicle - they might get a discount on their policy because of the additional driving experience.

When it comes to having more than one driver on a policy, always declare truthfully who the main driver of the vehicle is. If you don’t, you run the risk of ‘fronting’ your insurance.

If you were hoping to earn a no claims discount as a named driver, think again. Only 16% of 345 fully comp policies allow you to earn your own[3]

According to Defaqto[3]

Why you should be careful to avoid ‘fronting’

Fronting is the offence of fraudulently naming someone else, usually someone older and more experienced, as the main driver on a car insurance policy to get cheaper premiums.

This offence is most common among young and new drivers, who sometimes resort to naming older, more experienced motorists - such as a parent - as the main driver on their policy.

We conducted research into fronting in 2018, and found that 34% of parents of young drivers have fronted or would at least consider it.[4]

But while it can drive down the cost of a premium, the consequences are not worth the risk. As well as being illegal, it will also invalidate your cover.

If you’re going to add another driver to your policy, you need to be sure that you get the main driver right.

Bear in mind that if you add somebody to your policy as an additional driver, but over time they become the main driver of the car, you’ll need to notify your insurer. The additional driver will need to take out a policy in their own name.

“Many parents are putting themselves at risk of picking up a criminal record for the sake of reducing their child’s car insurance premiums.

There may not appear to be any harm in insuring a child’s car in a parent’s name, but ‘fronting’ is illegal”

Lee Griffin
Motoring expert and founder of GoCompare

Can I add an additional driver short-term?

If you need flexible or irregular cover, to lend your car to a family member, or to go on a driving holiday with a friend for example, short-term car insurance might be a better option.

This normally lasts between one and 28 days and is usually only available to drivers over a certain age.

Will adding a driver affect your no claims bonus (NCB)?

If the additional driver has an accident, the main driver’s no claims discount will probably be effected. But it’s worth checking with the insurer.

Make sure any additional drivers are properly covered to use your car

Get a quote

Find out more about car insurance 

[1]Up to £250 refunded after claim settled. Car insurance purchases only. Excludes breakdown, windscreen and glass repair/replacement. Full T&Cs apply.

[2]Price savings are based on independent research by Consumer Intelligence, conducted between 1 April to 30 April 2019:
It compared 28 insurers from our panel and found 51% could save up to £247.29 with us on their car insurance

[3]Last checked 20 May 2019

[4]Between 18 and 24 October 2018, One Poll conducted an online survey among 1,000 randomly selected British adults with children aged between 17 and 25 who can drive.

GoCompare uses cookies. By using the website you agree with our use of cookies. Continue Find out how to manage cookies and view our policy here