When do flight prices change?
An airline will charge between five and 15 different prices for the same seat over the course of its shelf life. Advance prices will be lower, and as the flight fills up prices will increase. However, as the departure date looms airlines are likely to drop their prices dramatically in order to fill space - some money is better than no money, after allRachel England, journalist
When's the best time to book a flight?
There's a legend that exactly 21 days prior to departure is the best time to book for the cheapest deals, as it's at this point airlines will take stock of their empty seats and lower prices accordingly. It's also mid-week that airlines look at shifting remaining seats for upcoming flights, so wait until a Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon before bookingRachel England, journalist
What time of day is it cheapest to fly?
Flying late at night or very early morning will often mean routes are less crowded, but this can mean extended airport stays or arriving after or before hotel check-in. Airlines need to maintain a schedule during off peak times - try to make your weekend trip happen during the week and you'll get cheaper and quieter flightsJon Severs, journalist
Find a cheap flight today
Thanks to our pals at Skyscanner, we can help you find flights without sky high prices.
You can quickly root out the cheapest deal from the millions of airports and airlines that we check.
- Take a wander around our Cheap flights departure lounge
- Use our travel checklist to help you pack
- Find discounts codes for lastminute.com
- Discover exclusive Expedia discounts
- British Airways discount codes & offers
- Get money off with Flybe voucher & promo codes
- Discover ebookers discount & promo codes
- Find exclusive RyanAir deals, discounts & vouchers
And it's all free - sweet!
Some airlines allow you to choose between different ticket classes. So how will you be flying?
- Standard economy - the cheapie option, you'll get a nice regular seat
- Premium economy - a bit more leg room, maybe some leg rests and pretty nice food
- Business class - ooh, get you! Double the leg room as well as extra viewing options, proper nice food and possibly an eye mask
- First class - as much leg room as you can get as well as a bit of privacy and even pyjamas!
Cheap flight tips
Well, we like to help you out, don't we? Here are some tantalising titbits to keep in mind:
Plane and simple
- If you check in on time but are prevented from boarding as the plane is full, the airline must offer you financial compensation
- If you're delayed for more than five hours, the airline must offer you a full ticket refund
- Be a bit flexible with your dates
- Advance prices will usually be cheaper
- Prices often drop just before the departure date
- Cheapest tickets for international routes are usually Monday-Thursday
- If you're flying in the UK, try to avoid Monday mornings and Friday evenings
- If you can, avoid peak times like summer holidays or Christmas
Things to remember
Make sure your passport's in date and find out whether you need a visa to go on hols - we don't want any disappointed faces at the airport.
You'll also want to triple check that you're flying to the right airport because that could get pretty awkward.
A lot of airlines allow you to check in online so if this is an option, you might have time to grab a cheeky pint/burger/souvenir at the airport - treat yo'self!
Finally, give yourself plenty of time so you're not dashing around before departure.
Find out more
Our cracking guides can help you to find the right airline and the right flight, with detailed descriptions of the different ticket classes available and of how scheduled flights differ from both charter flights and those provided by budget/low-cost/no-frills operators.
You can also read up on the different types of flights, and discover more about tickets, checking in, delayed flight compensation, lost and delayed luggage, and the value to be gained through paying by credit card.
We've also got a booking checklist and information on scheduled airline failure insurance (Safi).