Camera insurance

Compare cheap camera insurance deals[1]

Man and dog in the office - Business key scene

What is camera insurance?

There are many things to consider when buying a camera. But at the top of your list should be insuring your gadget.

The right insurance could protect your device and accessories from theft, mechanical breakdown, accidental damage and loss.

New cameras usually come with a manufacturer’s warranty. This will cover repairs when your camera breaks down due a manufacturing issue. Unlike insurance, most warranties won’t cover theft or accidental damage though.

Woman stretching while sitting in an office chair wearing headphones

What does camera insurance cover?

Depending on the level of cover you get, insurance can include:

Accidental damage

Say you drop your camera in a puddle and it suffers from liquid damage, for example.

Mechanical breakdown

This could help cover the costs of repairing your camera if it no longer works the way it should. Such as if the zoom function gets stuck, or the capture button stops working.


You’ll be covered for repairing or replacing your camera if it’s stolen. There’ll probably be exclusions if your camera was stolen while left unattended or not in a secure place.


This can help cover replacement costs if your camera is lost. Usually this only applies if it’s misplaced outside your home. And insurers will expect you to have taken precautions against loss.

Travel cover

Your camera will be covered if you take it abroad with you. Cover tends to be for a certain number of days per trip and/or for a certain number of trips per year.

Instant cover

This is where your insurance covers your camera immediately. Some policies won’t cover your gadget for a set number of days after the policy begins, which means you can’t claim during this time.


Camera insurance can also cover accessories up to a set value. Basic policies will cover accessories for accidental damage. But more comprehensive cover can include accessory theft or loss too.

What’s not covered?

Your camera won’t be covered for:

Wear and tear

As your camera gets older, it’s not going to work as well as when it was brand new. So, wear and tear refers to the deterioration of your camera due to age and long-term use.

Cosmetic damage

Scratches and dents, for example. Anything that doesn’t affect the cameras functionality.

Cameras used for commercial use

If you use your camera for work, you’ll need business insurance and specialist gadget insurance to cover it.

Old cameras

Some insurers won’t cover cameras older than 12 months. Others extend this limit up to 36 months.

Second-hand cameras

Your gadget must have been bought directly from a manufacturer, network provider, retail store or online outlet.

Compare camera insurance quotes

You’ll need to provide a few details to compare camera insurance:

  1. Camera info

    Like the make and model

  2. Your details

    Such as your name, date of birth and address

  3. Payment method

    Monthly or in full

  4. Standard excess

    How much excess could you pay in the event of a claim?

  5. Extras

    Whether there are any cover add-ons you’d like included

Compare camera insurance

Camera insurance for travel

We’ve already mentioned that travel cover will likely only be for a set number of days per trip, and usually a set number of trips per year. But you’ll also need to check the policy documents to see whether your camera is covered for accidental damage, loss or theft while abroad.

You’ll still need to keep your camera secure and not leave it unattended. Storing your camera in a locked hotel room in a locked safe, for example.

Any camera replacements may only be sent to a UK address, so you might have to wait until you’re home to get your replacement.

Check your travel insurance to see whether it offers enough cover – if any – for your camera while abroad. It could make up the shortfall on your gadget insurance.

Insurance options for professional photographers

Most insurers have an option to add on business camera cover if you use it for your job.

Not only will you need professional photographer insurance to protect your gadgets and equipment, but you'll also want to make sure you're protected with:

Public liability insurance

Cover for injuries or damage caused because of your photography. For example, if someone trips over your camera equipment.

More about public liability insurance >

Professional indemnity cover

This'll cover you against claims of poor work or advice. For example, if someone’s not satisfied with a photoshoot.

More about professional indemnity cover >

Frequently asked questions

It depends on your policy. Some contents insurance policies will cover your camera for loss or damage while it’s at home. You might also be able to add on the option to cover your gadgets while they’re away from the home too.

If something happens to your camera and you claim on your contents cover, it will likely increase the cost of home insurance in the future.

Yes – camcorders and GoPros are also covered.

Not usually. Most camera insurance policies don’t cover lost data.

If you’re a professional photographer, professional indemnity cover might include lost photos.

Most cameras connect to the internet, so make sure you upload photos to the cloud regularly and store a backup copy on a physical hard drive too, just in case.

No, it’s unlikely. Most insurers will require some sort of proof of purchase.

The most reliable proof of purchase you can provide for cameras are receipts and bank or credit card statements. Although a few insurers may be happy to accept picture or video evidence of you owning the camera instead of a receipt. The more proof you have, the better.

No, it’s usually required that your gadget is in full working order and free from damage. A little wear and tear should be fine, provided it doesn’t affect the camera’s performance.

Your insurer may ask for photographic evidence of its condition before you can take out a policy. Either way, if your camera is damaged and you need to make a claim in the future, things can get complicated. The insurer might suggest the problem you have now pre-existed and refuse to pay out for a claim.

Load more

See also

[1] introduces customers to Comparison Creator Limited, who is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) as an Authorised Representative of Limited.'s relationship with Limited is limited to that of business partnership, no common ownership or control rights exist between us. Please note, we cannot be held responsible for the content of external websites and by using the links stated to access these separate websites you will be subject to the terms of use applying to those sites.