Two-bedroom home insurance

Compare home insurance quotes for a two-bedroom property

No matter what size your house is, it’s important to protect it against unexpected events with the right insurance.

Home insurance comes in two parts - buildings cover and contents cover.

Buildings insurance covers the fabric of your home, as well as its permanent fixtures and fittings. It pays out for damage caused by things like fire and flooding.

Contents insurance helps cover the cost of repairing or replacing your belongings if they’re stolen, damaged or destroyed. This includes everything from your tv and tech, to your clothes and jewellery.

You can buy buildings and contents policies separately or in a combined policy, which usually works out cheaper.

Key points

  • If you’re renting a two-bedroom property, you’ll only need contents insurance
  • You can insure your home on a ‘sum insured’ or ‘bedroom-rated’ basis
  • In general, the more bedrooms your property has, the higher the cost of insuring it

What’s the average cost of home insurance premiums for a two-bedroom house?

*The average cost of combined buildings and contents insurance policies by number of bedrooms purchased through Gocompare in July 2022.

Our research indicates that the average cost of a combined home insurance policy for a two-bedroom home is £138.

If you’re considering moving to a larger house, your home insurance premium may be more expensive because your property is likely to be of a higher value. However, insurers also consider many different factors when calculating your premium, including where you live, whether you want any optional extras and your age.

Do I need buildings insurance for a two-bed house or flat?

It’s normally a condition of your mortgage provider that you have buildings insurance in place when buying a freehold property.

However, flats are usually sold on a leasehold basis, which means that whoever owns the freehold of the property will usually be responsible for buildings insurance. This will generally be included as part of your service charge. You should check these details with your solicitor or the freeholder when buying a flat, though.

In some cases, flat owners can get together to buy the freehold of their entire block of flats. This means that, collectively, you get to own the land and the building on it.

If you own the freehold to your two-bed flat, then you’re responsible for buildings insurance.

What insurance do I need if I rent?

If you rent from the council or a private landlord, then it’s their responsibility to provide buildings insurance.

However, it’s up to you to insure your household belongings against theft, damage or destruction.

Contents insurance is there to help with the cost of replacing or repairing your possessions, which is everything you’d take with you when you move home. Furniture, carpets and curtains are included too, if you’ve furnished the rental property yourself. Plus, all personal effects like electrical items, pictures, ornaments and clothing.

You can add accidental damage to your home contents policy, too. It will protect you against all sorts of mishaps - like spilling something over the sofa or dropping your tablet in the bath.

Will the number of bedrooms affect my insurance price?

There are two main types of home insurance - ‘sum insured’ and ‘bedroom rated’ - and they use different methods to calculate the premium you pay, along with the amount of cover you need.

Sum insured policies

With a sum insured policy, the amount of cover you need (and therefore the price you pay) is based on your calculations for the rebuild cost of your home and the total value of your contents and possessions.

To calculate the cost of your belongings, it’s a case of going from room to room and adding up how much it would cost to replace everything you own. It’s important you include all your belongings, or you risk being underinsured.

To work out what your home would cost to rebuild, you could use the residential rebuilding cost calculator from the Building Cost Information Service (BCIS). Alternatively, the rebuild value is usually included in your mortgage valuation report, the deeds to your home or the surveyor’s report.

Bedroom-rated policies

The insurer calculates your premium and the amount of cover you need, based on the number of bedrooms you have.

In general, the more bedrooms you have, the higher your premium and the sum insured will be.

The sum insured under a bedroom-rated policy is designed to be more than enough to cover an average home with the same number of bedrooms as yours.

This type of policy may not provide the right level of cover if your home and its contents don’t fit the average criteria, though.

It’s your responsibility to calculate if the cover is adequate for you on a bedroom-rated policy. It’s usually then possible to tailor your requirements with your provider.

But always be prepared to widen your search and compare home insurance cover from other providers, too.

What is classified as a bedroom?

In insurance terms, a bedroom is classified as a room used as or originally designed and built to be a bedroom, even if it’s now used for another purpose.

So, if you use a bedroom as a study, walk-in wardrobe, or children’s playroom, you still need to count it as a bedroom when you’re getting quotes for home insurance.

Failing to let your insurer know about all the bedrooms in your home could invalidate your policy.

Tips for saving money on insurance for a two-bed home

There are plenty of ways to cut the cost of your home insurance. Try:

  • Paying annually rather than monthly. It can be cheaper to pay in one lump sum as you won’t be charged interest
  • Buying a combined buildings and contents insurance policy from one provider usually works out cheaper than buying separately from different providers
  • Choosing a higher excess can bring your premium down. Just make sure that you could cover it comfortably if you had to make a claim
  • Only paying for what you need. Calculate your rebuild value and cost of your contents as accurately as you can

How do I find the best deal for home insurance on my two-bedroom home?

It’s always a good idea to compare quotes to get the right level of cover at a price that suits you.

You can compare home insurance with us quickly and easily.

Compare home insurance quotes

Buy home insurance with us and we’ll refund your excess if you make a claim. Excludes accidental loss and damage claims^

Get quotes

^Up to £250 refunded after claim settled. Excludes accidental loss or damage claims. Full T&Cs apply.