GoCompare uses cookies. By using the website you agree with our use of cookies. Continue Find out how to manage cookies and view our policy here

Building and contents insurance

Compare cheap buildings and contents insurance quotes and see if you could save on your premium

  • Get buildings and contents quotes from multiple insurance brands in one quick search
  • Defaqto star ratings and our contents calculator can help you get the right level of cover
  • Use the BCIS's rebuild calculator in the quote process to assess your home's rebuild cost



Guide to buildings and contents insurance cover

Key points

  • A combined buildings and contents insurance policy should be cheaper and more convenient than buying each product separately but...
  • ... ensure you need both forms of cover before buying

Buildings and contents insurance is a combined policy option for home insurance.

As the name suggests, it combines the two main elements of property cover - contents and buildings - that can also be arranged and sold separately if so desired.

If you need both elements, such a combined policy can have significant advantages over arranging individual elements of cover.

Price is often the major factor - if you need both types of insurance then a joint policy is likely to be the most cost-effective option.

It's also likely to be more convenient to arrange everything in one go, and there'll probably be less paperwork to take care of.

What does buildings and contents insurance cover?

The buildings insurance part of the policy offers cover for your home's structure and its permanent fixtures and fittings.House

If you have a mortgage on your property it's likely that the mortgage provider will insist that you have buildings cover as a condition of the loan, and leaseholder terms may also demand this.

If you own the property outright then the choice of whether to take out buildings insurance is down to you, but you should consider the value of your home, whether you could afford to lose such a valuable asset, and whether you could put another roof over your head.

In obtaining a quote, you'll be asked the rebuild value of your home.

This should be found on your mortgage agreement or on the deeds of your house, but bear in mind that it's likely to change over time.

For more information, try using the calculator supplied by the Association of British Insurers (ABI) or visiting the Building Cost Information Service.

The contents insurance element of the policy offers financial protection against accidents, thefts or loss that can affect your personal possessions and other valuables.

Such cover is optional, but you should consider how important such items are to you and whether you could afford to replace them should they be lost.

In seeking a quote you'll be asked to assess the value of your contents - it's important to get this right to make sure you're not under-insured.

The simplest way to make the assessment could be try our easy-to-use contents calculator.

Alternatively, there's the laborious task of going through your property room by room, making a list of your possessions and their value.

Insurers usually set a maximum limit for individual items, and this is likely to be in the region of £1,000. Home contents calculator

If you have items worth more than this - perhaps jewellery, a bike or expensive electrical equipment - you'll need to list them separately on your policy.

You should always check your policy's terms and conditions for full details of what's covered and for any exclusions.

Are there any advantages to separating buildings and contents insurance?

Ensure that you need both buildings and contents cover before considering a combined policy.

Landlords, for example, may not need contents insurance if they let their property unfurnished or part-furnished.

If you are letting a property, remember that you'll need a dedicated landlord insurance policy and, even then, you should check your buildings policy carefully to see exactly what's covered.

Buildings insurance will not usually be of concern to tenants, but it is likely that they'll want to consider cover for their contents.

Gocompare.com's service will present you with the clear option of whether you want to look at combined policies or separate buildings or contents deals

It's possible that you may already have contents cover from a packaged bank account, premium credit card, or some other source.

If so, check that the policy offers sufficient protection, but don't double up on insurance cover - you'd be wasting money and, in the event of an incident, it can complicate claims and drive up your premiums.

As ever, it's advisable to search the market for the best deal to suit your needs and to read the terms and conditions before buying a policy.

Should you choose to use Gocompare.com's home insurance comparison service, you'll be presented with the option of whether you want to look at combined policies, or separate buildings or contents deals.

By Sean Davies