Garden insurance

The cost of garden furniture, equipment, plants and pots can really add up. Find out how your home insurance can help to protect them and when you might need extra cover.

gocompare author
Updated 21 December 2021  | 2 min read
  • Home insurance often includes a set amount of cover for your garden and outdoor equipment
  • For more valuable garden items, you might need a policy add-on or specialist cover
  • To avoid underinsuring, make sure you include the contents of your garden and shed
  • Your policy may require you to lock and store valuable items away safely

How do I insure my garden?

While you can find providers that offer specialist garden insurance, most home insurance policies include a set amount of cover for your garden.

This will protect your garden and outside items from theft, loss and damage.

If you want more protection for expensive items, like top-of-the-range barbecues or garden furniture, you may be able to pay an extra sum to include these under your home insurance.

Some insurers will sell different levels of cover and others will offer garden cover as an optional add-on to your policy. Or you can take out standalone specialist insurance.

How much cover do I need?

To get the right level of cover, take a look around your garden. Work out how much it would cost to replace everything by adding up the value of what you can see - you can use our contents calculator to help you.

Keep in mind that there’s often a limit on the total value of contents you can cover that are kept in outbuildings and sheds.

And you may need to list expensive items separately, like trampolines or hot tubs, if your policy has a single-item limit - this is often between £1,500 and £2,000.

Does home insurance cover garden equipment?

Any equipment that can be moved, like tools and lawnmowers, will typically fall under your contents insurance.

If you have very expensive garden equipment, you may be able to pay an additional amount to your home insurance provider to protect their value through your policy.

Garages, sheds, summer houses and other structures, as well as the fixed parts of your garden like paths, walls and patios, are usually covered by your buildings insurance.

Does home insurance cover items left in the garden?

You’ll need to check the terms and conditions of your policy, as some insurers may not protect items kept outside as standard.

Typically, things left out in the open like garden furniture, plants, pots and containers, will be covered. But you might be required to keep certain valuable items securely locked away.

Be aware that if you don’t follow your insurer’s guidelines and your items are stolen or damaged you may not be covered.

What isn’t included in the garden cover offered with home insurance?

Again, this will vary between policies. For example, you might find that weather damage in your garden isn’t covered in the same way that it is for your home.

Often exclusions for the garden mean that any damage to your outbuildings and possessions caused by severe weather won’t be covered, so make sure you check this.

And some insurers will only cover plants that are damaged if they’re in pots, but not if they’re planted in the ground. Certain species of plants or flowers may also be excluded.

It’s worth comparing different providers to see what is and isn’t included. You may find you have to take out extra or separate insurance for high-value items.

What do I need to remember when looking at garden insurance?

When it comes to insuring your garden, you’ll need to check what cover is included with your home insurance policy.

And make sure you look at the single-item limits - you may need to get extra cover for valuable items or take out specialist insurance.

It’s a good idea to take photos of your more expensive items as proof of ownership and to keep hold of your receipts. This can make it easier if you need to make a claim.

Remember that any lost, damaged or stolen garden items will be replaced on a new for old basis - so you’ll need to have the right level of cover to buy replacements at today’s prices.

Compare home insurance quotes

Buy home insurance with us and we’ll refund your excess if you make a claim. Excludes accidental loss and damage claims^

Get a home insurance quote

^Up to £250 refunded after claim settled. Excludes accidental loss or damage claims. Full T&Cs apply.

GoCompare uses cookies. By using the website you agree with our use of cookies.