Is my home insured?

Do you know how to check if your home’s insured? Follow these steps to find out, then decide what buildings and contents cover you might need.

Eve Powell
Eve Powell
Updated 09 September 2021  | 2 min read

Is my home insured?

You might not know who’s responsible for your home insurance. Or you may have forgotten whether you’ve renewed it, or if it’s still in date – so it’s useful to know how to find out if you’ve got cover.

Key points

  • While there’s no central database, there are a few ways you can check to see if you’ve got home insurance
  • If you don’t have home insurance, you’ll have to pay for any repairs or replacements to your property or belongings
  • Freeholders and landlords are usually responsible for buildings insurance, but you’ll still need contents insurance to protect your possessions
  • When your policy’s up for renewal it’s a good idea to shop around for cheaper quotes

How to check whether your home is already insured

It can be hard to know where to start, but while there’s no central database to check, there are a few ways to find out if your home’s insured:

  1. Check your bank account or credit card statements – look for any evidence of payments you’ve made to an insurer
  2. Speak to your financial advisor or broker – if you used one when you took out the policy, they may be able to help you trace your policy
  3. Check your emails – you may find previous messages from your insurance provider with policy details or renewal reminders
  4. Contact your mortgage lender – they’ll have a record of the insurer details you provided when you took out the loan

I live in a leasehold property, do I have home insurance?

For buildings insurance, you need to check your lease or ask whoever manages the building.

It’s usually the freeholder who’s responsible for arranging cover, and a cost for this will be included in your service charge.

Sometimes the lease requires the tenant to take out buildings cover. If this is the case, you can follow the steps above to check you’re insured.

Contents insurance for your belongings inside the home is your responsibility and you’ll need to decide how much cover you buy.

I rent my property, do I need home insurance?

As a tenant, the building insurance is your landlord’s responsibility. But it’s not a legal requirement, so it’s a good idea to check if cover’s in place.

Sometimes landlords have contents insurance if the property’s furnished (and to cover any appliances they provide) so make sure you know who’s accountable if damage happens.

But you’ll still need to insure your own possessions if you want to have financial protection for any that get lost, damaged or stolen.

What happens if my home is uninsured?

If your home’s not insured and something happens to your property or your belongings – for example, if there was a fire, flood, or burglary – you’ll have to cover the cost of any repairs or replacements.

So it’s important to find out if you’ve got cover, to make sure you're protected financially if something unexpected were to happen to your home.

How can I get home insurance?

Whether you’re looking for building or contents insurance, or a combined policy, by entering a few simple details we’ll help you quickly compare quotes from a range of providers.

If you’ve already got home insurance and your policy’s up for renewal, it’s a great time to shop around to see if you can find a cheaper deal elsewhere.

But be aware that switching home insurance providers before your policy has ended might mean you have to pay an administration fee.

Compare home insurance quotes

Buy home insurance with us and we’ll refund your excess if you make a claim. Excludes accidental loss and damage claims^

Compare quotes

^Up to £250 refunded after claim settled. Excludes accidental loss or damage claims. Full T&Cs apply.

Save on your home insurance

Start a quote