Holiday home insurance

Compare holiday home insurance quotes for properties in the UK and abroad with Intasure[1]

What’s holiday home insurance?

Holiday home insurance is just home insurance to cover your second property, whether or not you let it out.

You can buy holiday home insurance for the building, the contents, or both combined into one policy.

Buildings insurance will cover your holiday home’s structure and will pay out to repair it if it’s damaged by fire, storms, flooding, vandalism or other events.

Contents insurance covers your possessions within your holiday home – generally things that aren’t attached to the building, so furniture, TV, carpets and any personal property you keep at your holiday home.

holiday home insurance

Can I just buy ordinary home insurance for my holiday home?

Home insurance will usually only cover your main residence. A second home needs holiday home insurance.

It can cover you for the times that your holiday home is unoccupied, even if that’s longer than 30-60 days.

If you let your holiday home out to guests you’ll need holiday lets insurance to cover this.

It’ll have the cover you need for the risk that comes with renting your second home out and you can add extra cover like public liability and employee liability that you need to run your holiday letting business.

What does holiday home insurance cover?

A lot of what’s covered by holiday home insurance will be similar to what you see in a home insurance policy if it’s only used by you and your family. If you let your holiday home out, your policy will have some similarities with landlord cover.

But your holiday home won’t be lived in full-time, so holiday home insurance allows you to leave it empty for extended periods.

What’s covered?

  • Buildings and contents cover – The structure of your holiday home and your possessions within.
  • Personal possessions cover – The things you keep in your holiday home.
  • Accidental damage cover – Unexpected damage by you or your guests.
  • Alternative accommodation – A temporary place to stay if your holiday home’s made uninhabitable and you can’t use it.
  • Emergency travel – Covers the cost of you getting to your holiday home to sort out issues like a burst pipe or a fire.
  • 24-hour emergency helpline – Urgent help with claims.
  • Unusual and non-standard building types - Like chalets and log cabins.
  • Loss of income – If you usually let your holiday home but can’t do that because it’s been damaged.
  • Public liability – Cover the cost of someone taking legal action against you because they’ve been injured or suffered a loss on your property.
  • Employer liability – You’ll need this if you rent your second home out and employ anyone, like a cleaner or gardener.

What’s excluded?

  • Extended lets – You might need landlord insurance for long-stay guests.
  • Theft by occupants - Guests stealing from you.
  • Solar panels – If you have them, double check your policy for cover.
  • Hen or stag groups – Your policy might say you can’t let to riskier occupants.
  • Properties with seven or more bedrooms – Check if there’s a maximum number on the policy if your holiday home accommodates more.
  • Other types of use – Some policies won’t cover your property to be used as a halfway house or for social housing.

You’ll need to check your own policy to see exactly what’s covered and what isn’t. Don’t let your holiday home out without a policy that’s for holiday lets, or any claim you need to make will be rejected.

How to get a holiday home insurance quote

You’ll just need a few details to find some quotes for your holiday home:

  1. Your holiday home

    The address, building type, year it was built and plot number if it’s on a holiday park or site.

  2. Your cover

    Do you need buildings insurance only. Or buildings and contents? When do you need your cover to start?

  3. Letting details

    If you’re letting it out, you can add public liability insurance and loss of rental income guarantee.

  4. Occupancy

    Whether your holiday home will be unoccupied for longer periods of 30 days or more.

  5. About you

    Let us know your contact details and your current correspondence address.

  6. Your details

    Contact details and address.

Get quotes

How to save money on holiday home insurance

Try these tips to cut the cost of insurance on your second home:

  1. Try to pay annually

    It’s often cheaper to pay for the year in one lump sum, if you can afford it, than paying monthly.

  2. Buy buildings and contents together

    If you need both, it can be cheaper and more convenient to deal with just one insurer.

  3. Increase your excess

    Choose a higher voluntary excess to lower your premium – but make sure you can afford it if you do need to claim.

  4. Know your worth

    Find out exactly how much your belongings are worth.

  5. Protect against fires

    Fitting a smoke alarm on every floor could benefit you when it comes to finding a great deal on your insurance.

  6. Improve the security

    Make sure you have adequate locks installed on your doors and windows.

  7. Maintenance is key

    Keep your holiday home properly maintained to reduce your chance of a claim being rejected.

  8. Shop around

    Shop around to get the best price possible for your policy.

Types of holiday home insurance

Holiday home insurance isn’t just for UK properties – you can cover your bolt-hole abroad as well and it’s suitable for lots of shapes and sizes of buildings.

UK holiday home insurance

UK holiday homes can be a smart investment, especially if you’re letting them out. Just make sure you check rising property prices when you give a valuation for insurance.

UK holiday insurance will protect your asset from break-ins, storms and fires, even if it’s just a private family retreat.

Chalet and log cabin insurance

Chalets in seaside resorts or woodland log cabins can have unusual or temporary structures.

But holiday home insurance can cover cabins and chalets, as well as hot tubs or outbuildings.

Overseas holiday home insurance

It can be nerve wracking having something as valuable as a second home so far away from you.

But even if you can only visit it a few times a year, the right overseas holiday home insurance policy will protect your property overseas.

You may also be interested in


[1] introduces customers to Intasure which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.'s relationship with Intasure is limited to that of a business partnership, no common ownership or control rights exist between us. Please note, we cannot be held responsible for the content of external websites and by using the links stated to access these separate websites you will be subject to the terms of use applying to those sites