AA home insurance

Set up in 1905, The AA used to be called The Automobile Association and is perhaps most well known for its breakdown cover. Over the years this familiar brand has grown to more than 14 million members and is trusted for delivering a wide range of reliable services with great customer care and expertise.

Eve Powell
Eve Powell
Updated 12 January 2021  | 4 mins read

Why choose AA home insurance?

  • Rated an overall four stars by Defaqto and five stars by Moneyfacts in 2023
  • The AA offers three types of home insurance: buildings, contents and combined buildings and contents cover.
  • Providing two levels of home cover packages, with the AA you can choose from a standard level of cover or their Home Insurance Plus, with flexible extras to suit your needs.

AA home insurance facts

Designed to protect your home and belongings from loss and damage from events like fire, theft, storm and floods, with AA home insurance it’s useful to know that:

  • You can buy buildings and contents insurance together or separately
  • Two levels of cover are available: Standard and Home Insurance Plus
  • Premiums can be paid monthly or annually
  • You can add optional extra types of cover to suit your needs
  • The cover replaces any lost, stolen or damaged items with brand new ones
  • Home Insurance Plus includes all the benefits of home emergency cover as standard
  • It offers a flexible level of contents cover, starting from £40,000
  • Contents cover includes accidental damage for non-portable gas and electrical items

How do I get in touch with AA?

You can either visit www.theaa.com or you can call the AA customer service team on 0800 17 6169.

Lines are open:

  • Monday to Friday: 8am to 7pm
  • Saturday: 9am to 5pm

What does AA buildings insurance cover?

The protection you get with AA buildings insurance is designed to help you put things right if you’re unlucky enough to suffer loss or damage to your home.

With AA buildings cover, your home and its fixtures and fittings will be insured against a range of events including fire, flooding and storms, and theft or attempted theft.

There are two levels of insurance to choose from, depending on your needs.

AA standard building insurance

This cover offers good quality benefits with flexible optional extras to suit your needs. The standard cover includes:

  • Rebuilding costs for homes with a market value of up to £1m
  • Alternative accommodation costs of up to £45,000 for you and your pets, if your home can't be lived in as a result of damage that's covered by the policy
  • Cover up to £5,000 to trace and access water and oil leaks, and repair any damage caused during the process
  • Replacement locks and keys up to £1,000 if your keys are lost or stolen

With AA standard buildings cover you can add accidental damage insurance as an optional extra, as well as some other policy add-ons.

AA Home Insurance Plus

If you feel you’d like more protection, you can take out Home Insurance Plus. This includes higher levels of cover than standard, plus some additional types of cover which include:

  • Rebuilding costs for insured homes with an unlimited market value
  • Alternative accommodation costs up to £50,000
  • Accidental damage cover
  • Home emergency cover - providing help from an approved tradesperson, with no call-out, labour or parts costs
  • Cover for matching sets - like kitchen cabinets, bathroom suites and wooden flooring
  • Up to £10,000 to cover the cost of trace, access and repair to water and oil leaks
  • Unlimited cover for costs to replace locks and keys

What does AA contents insurance cover?

This type of cover is designed to protect your belongings and possessions from events that are outside your control.

It covers the contents of your home, including carpets and light fittings, from loss or damage from things happening like fire, theft, storms, flood, leaks and vandalism.

Again, depending on the level of cover you need there are two you can choose from.

Standard contents insurance includes:

  • Cover for contents from £40 up to £75,000
  • New for old cover - replacing your items with new ones, whatever their original value
  • A single item limit of £1,500
  • Up to £5,000 in home office equipment
  • Up to £3,000 for theft of contents from garages and outbuildings
  • £1,000 cover for replacement locks and keys
  • £500 for spoiled food from your freezer
  • £1,000 for damaged garden plants

AA Home Insurance Plus contents cover

This cover allows you to insure more than £75,000 worth of contents and provides extra layers of protection on top of the standard cover.

With higher levels of payout, Home Insurance Plus provides everything that standard cover does but gives you extra peace of mind by also including:

  • Cover for an unlimited value of contents
  • Accidental damage protection
  • Home Legal Expenses cover up to £100,000
  • Cover for accidental damage of possessions anywhere in the world up to £5,000
  • A single item limit of £5,000
  • £3,000 cover for student possessions while your family are at university or college
  • Up to £10,000 in home office equipment
  • Up to £7,500 for theft of contents from garages and outbuildings

What optional extras are available?

AA home insurance is designed to be flexible by giving you the option to add extra types of cover to suit your individual needs.

With buildings insurance, there’s the option of taking out accidental damage cover as an add-on to your policy. For example, covering the cost of damage if you were to put a foot through the ceiling.

For contents insurance there are four optional extras that you can choose to add to your policy, these are:

  • Cover for accidental damage to your home contents
  • Home Legal Expenses cover
  • Cover for loss and accidental damage of your valuables away from home
  • Cover for valuables and belongings worth more than £1,500

Frequently asked questions

The name of the underwriter for your home insurance will be provided from the AA’s home insurance panel. It will be shown on your home insurance quote and your policy documents.

When you take out a home insurance policy with the AA you’ll be given the option to auto-renew your policy.

While opting for auto-renewal can mean you’re never left without cover, it might mean you end up paying more when it comes to renewing your insurance.

It’s best to set a reminder for 28 days before it’s time to renew your policy and then compare quotes from other providers.

Find out more about home insurance renewals.

Yes, you can cancel your AA home insurance cover.

If you cancel within 14 days from the date your cover started you can get a full refund of any premium you’ve paid (unless you’ve made a total loss claim during this time) - but their £9 arrangement fee won’t be returned to you and the cost of any cover you’ve already received will be deducted from your refund.

If you cancel after 14 days of the policy starting, you’ll be given a refund based on the cover you haven’t used yet, unless you’ve claimed while having the policy (in which case you won’t qualify for a refund). You’ll also need to pay a cancellation fee of £20 and the insurer will keep the £9 arrangement fee.

Find out more about cancelling your home insurance.

Yes, you do.

If you pay annually and are using automatic renewal, the payment will automatically be taken for the next 12 months when your policy’s due to end and it will then be renewed for another year.

The AA will write to you at least three weeks before your renewal is due to confirm the details.

If you’re paying in monthly instalments, you’ll be asked for an initial payment by debit or credit card and the rest of your payments will be made in 11 monthly instalments.

At the end of 12 months, you’ll be contacted by the AA and told what the new monthly instalments will be.

Compare home insurance quotes

Buy home insurance with us and we’ll refund up to £250 of your excess if you make a claim. Excludes accidental loss and damage claims^

Get quotes

^Up to £250 refunded after claim settled. Excludes accidental loss or damage claims. Full T&Cs apply.

Compare quotes with us