John Lewis home insurance
John Lewis is one of Britain’s best-loved retailers and has become a brand synonymous with providing quality products and excellent customer service.
John Lewis also has a growing online business and in 2016 created John Lewis Finance - providing a trusted alternative to traditional financial services providers. It offers a range of products, from home insurance to personal loans and credit cards.
John Lewis home insurance facts
Designed to protect your home against loss or damage from unexpected events like fire, flooding and theft, it’s also useful to know that John Lewis home insurance:
- Provides contents and building cover that can be bought together or separately
- Offers three levels of home insurance: Bronze, Silver, and Gold
- Gives you a range of optional add-ons to choose from, including accidental damage cover
- Allows you to change or cancel your policy at any time, without paying fees
- Provides ID Theft Cover with all Gold, Silver and Bronze policies
Why choose John Lewis home insurance?
- With its reputation for quality and customer service, it’s not surprising that John Lewis home insurance is very highly rated.
- Offering three tiers of cover, the Gold, Silver policies are rated five stars by Defaqto - the top rating by the independent financial comparison service - while Bronze policies are rated four stars.
- It also received a five-star rating by Moneyfacts in 2023, while TrustPilot scores John Lewis Finance 4 out of five stars from more than 9,407 customer reviews, with 58% rating its insurance policies as excellent^.
- Providing three different levels of cover, John Lewis has designed its home insurance policies so they can be tailored to suit your needs and budget, allowing you to mix and match levels for both buildings and contents insurance.
- You can also choose from a range of policy add-ons, as well as enjoy several other flexible benefits that come as standard on all policies.
How do I get in touch with John Lewis?
To contact John Lewis about home insurance you can visit them online or you can:
Call: 0345 608 9011
Lines are open:
- Mon to Fri: 9am - 7pm
- Sat: 9am - 1pm
- Sun: Closed
Make a claim online or call: 0345 608 9005
Lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
What does John Lewis home insurance cover?
Home insurance from John Lewis protects your home and its contents should something unexpected happen.
With John Lewis home insurance, you can take out buildings insurance and contents insurance, either separately or together as a combined policy.
So, if your home were to suffer an event like a fire, flood, or burglary, John Lewis home insurance would provide financial protection if you needed to pay for repairs or replacements.
What does John Lewis buildings insurance cover?
Buildings insurance covers the main structure of your home and its fixtures and fittings, and it also includes outbuildings like car ports or garages.
Each level of John Lewis buildings insurance includes cover for:
- Repairing or rebuilding your home
- Replacement keys and locks
- Trace and access to find and repair the source of a leak.
- Alternative accommodation
What does John Lewis contents insurance cover?
Contents insurance protects your valuable possessions, like jewellery, furniture and electrical items, and covers items in your home that aren’t part of its structure or fixed to the building.
John Lewis contents insurance policies include cover for:
- Replacing the contents and valuables in your home
- Money in the home
- Business equipment
- Alternative accommodation
- Tenants’ improvements
- Contents in the open, including garden furniture and shrubs and plants
- Frozen food
- Escape of water
- Escape of oil from a fixed heating system
- Liability - as a tenant, as well as public and occupier’s liability, and employers’ liability
- Loss of media downloads
What are the cover levels of John Lewis home insurance?
Home insurance by John Lewis provides you with flexible financial protection, allowing you to choose a level of cover that will suit your needs and your budget.
John Lewis offers three levels of cover: Gold, Silver, and Bronze, which provide different payout limits for each category.
And its flexible cover means you don’t have to choose the same level for both types of insurance, so you could pick Gold for contents and Silver for buildings insurance.
Here are some examples of how the levels work for each type of home insurance:
|Contents insurance Maximum sum insured:||£50,000||£100,000||Unlimited|
|Valuables in the home||£10,000||£20,000||£40,000|
|Buildings insurance Maximum sum insured:||£400,000||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Trace and access||£5,000||£5,000||Unlimited|
|Locks and keys||£500||£750||Unlimited|
What optional extras are available?
Providing a range of optional add-ons, John Lewis helps you to tailor and change your cover to suit your circumstances at any time, without being charged admin fees.
Accidental damage cover for buildings or contents
Choose either or both to protect your home and its contents from accidental damage, covering you for damage like spills and putting your foot through the ceiling
Personal cyber cover
Get up to £10,000 protection against computer problems, cybercrime and attacks, including help to restore your systems and remove viruses
If you’ve got students in your family, you can get up to £5,000 of contents cover to look after their belongings while they’re away studying
Home emergency & boiler cover
24-hour help and access to emergency tradespeople. Up to £1,500 of home emergency cover and an annual service for your oil, gas or LPG boiler. Plus, help towards replacement costs if it can't be fixed, depending on the boiler's age.
Legal expense cover
This will give your family legal protection and peace of mind if you have an issue at home or work and will provide up to £100,000 to help with legal disputes
Add up to £15,000 of loss, damage or theft cover for your bikes while at home or out and about (maximum of £5,000 per bike). Excludes electric bikes and mopeds.
Add up to £10,000 of cover to protect your gadgets when you’re anywhere in the world
Personal possessions cover
Cover for accidental loss, theft or damage to your personal possessions and money, anywhere in the world. Excludes items out of your arm’s reach, unless they were locked away, out of sight and there’s evidence of forced entry
Frequently asked questions
Yes. You have the option to auto renew whether you pay monthly or annually, if you want to. Follow these steps to renew your policy online.
John Lewis PLC is an appointed representative of Munich Re Digital Partners Limited, a company authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) to carry out insurance distribution activities.
The FCA helps to make sure that the insurance market is honest, fair and effective so that customers can get a good deal and trust the service they’re buying.