Nationwide home insurance

Choose from buildings, contents or a combined policy. Compare Nationwide home insurance today.

What does Nationwide home insurance cover?

Buildings insurance

Nationwide’s unlimited buildings insurance covers the cost of repairing or rebuilding your home if it’s damaged due to events outside of your control, such as a storm, flood, fire or subsidence.

Outbuildings, like the garage, are also included in this cover, plus permanent fixtures and fittings in your home, like fitted kitchens and bathrooms, too.

Nationwide buildings insurance also includes:

  • Up to £50,000 for alternative accommodation if your home is damaged due to an insured event - such as a fire - and it’s unsafe to live in
  • Up to £750 for lost or stolen keys
  • Trace and access cover. Up to £5,000 to pay for damage caused by investigating a water or oil leak in your home
  • Escape of water cover. Pays unlimited costs to repair damage caused by burst pipes
  • Owners’ legal liability cover. Pays out up to £2 million if you get sued for an accident that happens in your home, or if someone was injured or their property damaged because of building work you’re having done

Contents insurance

Nationwide contents insurance will cover the cost of repairing or replacing the belongings in your home if something unfortunate happens – for example if they’re stolen, lost or damaged by events like floods or fires.

Everything from your white goods to your jewellery is covered. Basically, everything that you would take with you if you moved.

You can choose between two levels of contents cover, depending on your needs - up to £50,000 or over £50,000 (unlimited).

Nationwide contents cover also includes:

  • Replacing lost or stolen keys and repairing or replacing damaged locks - up to £750 or £1,000
  • Cover for items if you or a family member temporarily lives elsewhere
  • Alternative accommodation. Pays up to £15,000 or £30,000 for the cost of somewhere else to stay if your home is damaged due to an insured event
  • Money in the home up to £750 or £1,000
  • Personal liability cover up to £2 million or £5 million

Combined buildings and contents insurance

With a combined buildings and contents insurance policy, you get the benefits of both types of cover in one policy.

Compare home insurance quotes

Buy home insurance with us and we’ll refund your excess if you make a claim. Excludes accidental loss and damage claims^

Get quotes

^Up to £250 refunded after claim settled. Excludes accidental loss or damage claims. Full T&Cs apply.

Optional extras

Nationwide home insurance offers you the chance to add extra cover to your policy for an additional fee, to protect what matters most to you.

Optional cover offered by Nationwide home insurance includes:

  1. Accidental damage cover

    Under buildings insurance, accidental damage will pay out if your home is damaged in a DIY accident, or if a window breaks, for example. Contents insurance will pay out for mishaps like spilling a drink that stains your carpet or sofa beyond repair

  2. Bicycle cover

    This covers accidental loss or damage to your pedal or electric bikes up to the maximum amount set out in your policy

  3. Garden cover

    If your garden contents, trees, plants, shrubs and lawn are lost or damaged because of vandalism, a fire, storm or lightning strike, this cover steps in to help

  4. Out and about cover

    Sometimes called personal possessions cover, this added extra will protect your belongings when you’re not at home. You’re covered for things like losing your luggage on holiday or dropping your laptop in a cafe

  5. Home emergency cover

    This will pay out for certain types of emergency work to restore vital services if there’s a catastrophe like a burst pipe or boiler breakdown

  6. Matching items cover

    If you damage something that’s part of a set - for example a chair from a three-piece suite - this cover will pay the cost of replacing the whole matching set if the damaged item can’t be exactly replaced or repaired

  7. Legal cover

    Sometimes called legal expenses cover, this will help pay for the cost of taking a case to court - like a personal injury claim, or an employment dispute. It can also cover the cost of defending a legal claim against you or your family

Why choose Nationwide home insurance?

  • It’s Defaqto five-star rated
  • There’s a 25% discount for existing Nationwide members
  • You only pay for the cover you need. Add optional extras only if they’re important to you
  • No hidden fees or charges, even if you pay monthly
  • Emergency 24-hour helpline available

How can I get in touch with Nationwide?

You can contact Nationwide home insurance on 0800 145 60 60. This line is available 24/7.

Who is Nationwide?

Nationwide is a building society or mutual.

It began life in London in 1884 as the Co-operative Permanent Building Society, offering members of the community the chance to pool savings and buy their own homes, rather than paying rent.

The Co-operative Permanent Building Society grew over the years and joined forces with about 250 other building societies. In 1970 it changed its name to Nationwide.

nationwide home insurance

frequently asked questions

If your roof is damaged by an insured event - like a storm - and it’s leaking, then your buildings insurance policy should cover you.

If you paid for home emergency cover with your policy, it will pay for the emergency repairs necessary to make the roof watertight and prevent further damage. Damage caused by lack of maintenance or ageing isn’t covered.

Buildings insurance will cover you for damage caused to your home or outbuildings that’s the result of falling trees or branches. Damage to fences, hedges or gates isn’t covered by the policy. And you can’t claim for the cost of removing a fallen tree or branch if it hasn’t damaged your buildings.

Yes, you can buy contents insurance for renters from Nationwide. It protects your belongings from loss or damage due to theft, flood and fire. It also includes features like tenants’ liability cover, which can pay for repairing damage to your landlord’s property, if you’re responsible for it.

Nationwide home insurance is underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Ltd.

Load more