Sainsbury's Bank home insurance

Choose from Sainsbury’s Bank Home or Home Plus insurance, along with a range of optional extras to help you get just the right home insurance policy.

Senior woman reading a book in her comfy chair

Why choose Sainsbury’s Bank home insurance?

Sainsbury’s Bank home insurance has been given a five-star expert rating by Defaqto.

Providing two levels of cover, Home or Home Plus, with Sainsbury’s Bank home insurance you can choose buildings or contents insurance, or a combination of the two.

There’s also a range of optional extras you can choose from to help you tailor your home insurance cover.

Plus, the Sainsbury's Bank home insurance app means you can manage your policy from your device - helping you to keep tabs on your cover, upload documents and view renewal dates.

But remember that when you’re looking at home insurance options, it’s always wise to compare policies and quotes to make sure you get the best deal.

Small child hugging a corgi on the sofa

How do the different levels of Sainsbury’s Bank home insurance work?

To help you get the right level of cover to suit your needs and circumstances, Sainsbury's Bank offers two levels of home insurance: Home or Home Plus.

Sainsbury's Bank Home insurance

This standard home insurance cover comes with some useful features and there’s also a range of flexible optional extras you can choose.

The cover includes:

  • Alternative accommodation - Pays for your accommodation if you can’t live in your home while it’s being fixed
  • Accidental damage - You’ll get some cover as standard, but you can upgrade this as an optional extra if required
  • No-claims discount - You’ll get money off next year’s premium if you haven’t made a claim

Sainsbury’s Bank Home Plus insurance

This increased level of cover includes the features that come as standard, but Home Plus also includes:

  • Emergency home cover - To help with unexpected events like boiler breakdowns
  • Family legal protection - Helps to cover unexpected legal costs, plus a 24-hour helpline

What does Sainsbury’s Bank buildings insurance cover?

Buildings insurance helps to make sure the structure of your home is protected. It also protects your fixtures and fittings, including fitted kitchens and bathroom suites.

Sainsbury’s Bank buildings insurance covers you for loss and damage to your home caused by unexpected events like fire, floods and storms.

Sainsbury’s Bank standard buildings cover includes:

  • Buildings cover up to £1 million
  • Accidental damage cover. This protects things like your windows, pipes, wires and wash basins, plus you can opt for more protection with optional extra accidental damage cover
  • Trace and access to find and fix any water or oil leak
  • No-claims discount
  • Cover for loss or damage caused by theft or attempted theft
  • Property owners’ liability insurance
  • Cover for lost or stolen keys

What does Sainsbury’s Bank contents insurance cover?

It could cost you a lot of money to repair or replace your belongings if something unexpected happened to your home or its contents.

Sainsbury’s Bank contents insurance will protect your possessions if they were to get lost, stolen or damaged by events like fire, floods and burglary.

Sainsbury’s Bank standard contents cover includes:

  • Contents cover up to £75,000
  • New for old cover - replacing items with new ones, whatever their age or original value
  • A single-item limit of up to £2,000
  • Accidental damage cover for items like TVs, DVD players and laptops
  • Up to £25,000 for stolen or lost jewellery
  • Up to £750 for bike cover if it’s taken from your home
  • Up to £1,000 for lost or stolen money in the home
  • Cover for spoiled food in your freezer
  • Garden plants up to £2,500
  • Cover for matching sets and suites

If you’d like more protection, you can increase your cover for things like accidental damage, bike cover and personal possessions by adding optional extras to your policy.

Compare home insurance quotes

Buy home insurance with us and we’ll refund up to £250 of your excess if you make a claim. Excludes accidental loss and damage claims^

Get quotes

^Up to £250 refunded after claim settled. Excludes accidental loss or damage claims. Full T&Cs apply.

Sainsbury’s Bank home insurance optional extras

There are plenty of extras that you can add on to your policy to get the protection you need. These include:

  1. Enhanced accidental damage cover for buildings insurance

    Boosts your cover to include mishaps like putting your foot through the roof

  2. Enhanced accidental damage cover for contents insurance

    Gives you extra protection against accidents, like spilling paint on your new carpet

  3. Personal possessions cover

    Add some extra protection to your contents insurance by protecting your belongings when you’re out and about, includes your mobile phone and laptop

  4. Home emergency cover

    Provides help when you find yourself dealing with an emergency like a broken boiler or blocked drain

  5. Key cover

    Helps to cover the cost of lost or stolen keys and arrange for key or lock repairs and replacements

  6. Family legal protection

    This can be useful if you find yourself needing legal advice or to cover legal expenses if you or your family need to go to court

  7. Bike cover away from home

    Protect your bikes when you’re out and about and get up to £1,000 cover for each bike

  8. Excess cover

    This will refund the total amount of excess you have to pay if you make an eligible claim

How can I get in touch with Sainsbury’s?

You can call the Sainsbury’s Bank customer service team on 0345 850 5500.

Lines are open:

  • Mon to Fri: 10am - 4pm
  • Sat: 9am - 1pm

How do I make a claim with Sainsbury’s Bank home insurance?

If you need to make a claim on your home insurance, you’ll need to give the Sainsbury’s Bank claims department a call on: 0800 206 1965.

Lines are open:

  • Mon to Fri: 8am - 9pm
  • Sat: 9am - 5pm

They’ll take all the details they need from you to assess your claim and determine the next steps required.

You might be asked for proof like receipts and any photographs you’ve taken of the items and the damage itself.

If the claim’s accepted they’ll pay you for the cost of any items or damage that was covered under your policy.

Who underwrites Sainsbury's Bank home insurance?

Sainsbury’s Bank home insurance is underwritten by UK Insurance Limited.

It’s authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA).

Who is Sainsbury’s Bank?

At more than 150 years old, Sainsbury’s is one of the UK’s oldest major supermarkets. And in 1997, it also became the first supermarket to open a bank.

Originally a joint venture with the Bank of Scotland, today Sainsbury’s Bank is now fully owned by Sainsbury’s.

Sainsbury’s Bank offers a wide range of financial and insurance products, including car insurance, travel insurance and pet insurance.

Information on this page correct as of 11 March 2022.

More about home insurance