Tesco Bank home insurance
Find out more about Tesco Bank and compare home insurance policies.
Why choose Tesco Bank home insurance?
Tesco Bank home insurance is administered by Tesco Bank and underwritten by a selected range of insurers.
- It’s been given a five-star rating by Defaqto
- Tesco Clubcard members get a guaranteed discount when taking out a new policy or renewing cover
- You can manage your policy online, making it easy to check or change policy details. You can also download and print out policy documents, view your renewal price and renew your policy. There are no admin fees for changes you make to your policy online
- It’s easy to tailor your policy so you only pay for additional cover that’s right for you
Tesco Bank home insurance facts
Choose from these three policies:
- Buildings insurance to cover your home
- Contents insurance to protect your belongings
- Combined buildings and contents insurance for full cover
You can expect:
- Unlimited buildings insurance as standard
- £75,000 contents cover, with the opportunity to increase cover up to £100,000 for an additional premium
- Family legal guard cover and home emergency cover are available as optional extras
- You can add accidental damage to your buildings insurance policy
- Options to extend your contents cover to include personal possessions away from home and bicycle cover for and additional cost
How do I get in touch with Tesco Bank?
You can reach Tesco Bank by calling 0345 366 8632
Mon to Fri: 8am - 8pm
Sat and Sun: 9am - 2pm
What does Tesco Bank buildings insurance cover?
Tesco Bank buildings insurance covers the cost of rebuilding or repairing the structure of your home, outbuildings and permanent fixtures if they're damaged as a result of fire, storms, floods, escape of water or subsidence.
It also includes:
- Alternative accommodation costs of up to £50,000 if your home isn't safe to live in
- Up to £5,000 trace and access cover to locate and access the source of a water leak
- Accidental damage cover for underground pipes and drains
What does Tesco Bank contents insurance cover?
Contents insurance covers the belongings in your home from theft, fire, floods and storms.
Tesco Bank will cover your contents up to a maximum of £100,000 (£75,000 as standard).
It also includes:
- Accidental damage to home entertainment equipment as standard, like your TV and laptop
- Up to £1,500 cover for garden items, such as barbecues and patio heaters. As well as £2,500 for any damage to your lawn, plants and trees.
- £7,500 increase in cover during special events and religious festivals such as Christmas or Hanukkah
- Personal liability cover up to £2 million.
- Contents cover up to the value of £5,000 at college or university halls for family members
There’s also the option to purchase add-on insurance, including:
- Extended accidental damage cover for contents which protects your sofas, carpets and other household items that aren’t already covered by the standard policy
- Personal possessions cover which protects items like money, credit cards and mobile phones away from home.
- Bicycle cover away from home - up to a total of £5,000
Are there other optional extras?
You can add the following extras to your Tesco Bank home insurance policy:
Family legal guard cover
This legal insurance provides up to £100,000 cover for you and your family to pursue or defend a personal legal dispute. For example, it will cover legal expenses where you or your family suffer a personal injury following an accident where someone else was to blame, or for an employment or property dispute.
It also provides access to a confidential 24-hour legal helpline.
Provides 24-hour cover for home emergencies such as leaking pipes, blocked toilets, the failure of your electrical or gas supply or pest infestations. You’re also covered for home security incidents, including smashed windows and broken front doors.
Who is Tesco Bank?
Tesco Bank is owned by Tesco PLC. It launched in 1997 and has 5.2 million customers.
It offers a range of banking products including current accounts, credit cards, savings products and personal loans as well as motor, pet and home insurance.
Frequently asked questions
Around 21 days before your policy comes to an end, Tesco Bank will send out a renewal invitation with details of your next year’s premium and any changes to the terms and conditions.
If you don’t wish to renew, you’ll need to contact Tesco Bank before your renewal date to cancel it.
You can opt out of automatic renewal at any time by logging into your insurance account online.
After you’ve bought your policy or it has auto-renewed, you have 14 days to cancel with a full refund of your premium. This is known as the cooling-off period. However, any claims you’ve made during this time will be deducted.
You can cancel your policy any time after the cooling-off period, too. You'll be refunded the amount paid for the remaining period of insurance, minus a cancellation charge, as long as you haven’t made any claims.
Tesco Bank home insurance covers the rebuilding and repair cost of your home, as well as the replacement or repair of contents lost or damaged in a flood.
You can't collect Clubcard points on your Tesco Bank home insurance.
But there have been promotions in the past, where Tesco Bank offered a quantity of bonus Clubcard points for taking out a policy.
All Clubcard members get a guaranteed discount on their home insurance policy.
Be aware that the discount doesn’t apply to home emergency cover or family legal guard.