Renters and tenants insurance

Protect the belongings in your rented home

Girl using her mobile in her bedroom

Benefits of comparing tenants insurance with us

£250 free excess cover

We’ll refund up to £250 of your excess if you make a claim. Excludes accidental loss or damage claims^

Plenty of choice

With 66 home insurance providers on our panel, we can find you great deals[2]

Quick and easy

Answer a few simple questions about your home and possessions to get instant quotes

^UK residents and home insurance purchases only. Excess refunded after claim settled. Excludes accidental loss or damage claims made on your home insurance. Full T&Cs apply.

Brands we work with

We work with 66 UK home insurers[2] to help you get great deals and affordable cover including:

What’s tenants insurance?

Tenants insurance is contents insurance for renters.

It’ll cover your belongings while they’re in your rented house or flat and pays out if they’re stolen or damaged by an unexpected event like a fire or burst pipe.

Most policies also include tenants liability cover for accidental damage to your landlord’s items. This could save you from losing your deposit because of a mishap like breaking a window.

Young adult man leaning back in a wicker chair while looking out his living room window

What does tenants insurance cover?

Tenants insurance covers your personal property that’s not fixed to the home. Everything from your clothes, gadgets and books, to any furniture you may have if the place you’re renting is unfurnished.

Any permanent part of the property, like the walls, roof and windows aren’t your responsibility to insure as a tenant. Your landlord will need their own landlord buildings insurance for that.

What's covered?

What’s covered by your tenants insurance will vary from one policy to another, but most will include:

  • Loss or damage to your household possessions - Covers damage caused by risks like fire, theft and attempted theft, vandalism, floods and storms and water leaks. 
  • Personal possessions cover - Protects your things when you take them out and about with you, away from the house. So, if your laptop falls and breaks in a cafe or your phone gets stolen when you’re out with friends, you can make a claim. This type of cover may be included as standard or available to buy as an add-on.
  • Tenants liability cover - Covers accidental damage to your landlord’s property, plus legal costs if you have to go to court over a dispute.
  • Loss of frozen food - If food in your freezer is spoiled or damaged, the policy will pay up to a certain amount.
  • New for old - The policy will replace damaged or stolen items with brand-new equivalents, even if your items have depreciated in value over time.

Read your policy documents to see exactly what you’re covered for.

What's not covered?

Each policy will have a set of exclusions to watch out for. Things that won’t be covered by most policies are:

  • Wear and tear or mechanical breakdown - Contents insurance doesn’t cover damage to your possessions that happens gradually over time, or the mechanical breakdown of things like your TV and laptop.
  • Unoccupied properties - Policies will only cover an empty home for a limited amount of time - usually up to 30 consecutive days (though some may allow up to 60 days). So If you’re going away for an extended period, you need to let your insurer know.
  • Excess - The pre-agreed amount you need to pay towards any claim you make.
  • Poor workmanship - The cost of repairing and fixing any defective work you’ve had carried out isn’t covered.
  • Negligence - Damage or theft that happened to your contents because you didn’t lock doors and windows is considered negligence, so providers will usually reject the claim.
  • Items valued over the policy limit - If the amount it costs to repair or replace your contents exceeds the sum insured on your policy (the total amount you’re covered for), you’ll be underinsured and will have to pay the difference to replace your items. Single item limits are also applicable which is the most your insurer will pay out for any one item. This is typically between £1,000 - £2,000. You can usually list these items separately on your policy by contacting your insurer.
  • Home business belongings - If you have business equipment (not including office furniture or your laptop) it probably won’t be covered under a standard contents insurance policy.
  • Rent arrears - Home contents insurance won’t cover your rent if you’re unable to pay.

Get additional cover with optional extras

  • Accidental damage cover - Covers the cost of repairs or replacement if your possessions are damaged by mistake.
  • Bicycle cover away from home - Your bike will usually be protected while at home with a standard contents insurance policy. But you need to add away from home cover to your policy to protect your bike if it’s stolen or damaged when you take it outside of your property.
  • Legal expenses cover - Pays up to a certain amount for you and your family to pursue or defend against a personal legal dispute. For example, a personal injury claim.

Is it worth getting tenants insurance?

You don’t legally need tenants insurance, so it’s your choice. But you need to think about whether you could afford to replace your belongings if something like a burglary or fire were to happen.

You won’t need to take out buildings insurance though because that’s your landlord’s responsibility. If you’re renting a furnished property, it’s your landlord’s responsibility to insure the furniture that they provide as well.

But your landlord’s contents insurance will only cover the items in their property that they own. It won’t cover your possessions too.

Some properties are at higher risk than others. You might especially want to consider tenants insurance if:

  • You live in a high-crime area with a greater risk of burglaries
  • You live in an area that’s prone to flooding

How much is tenants insurance?

Our data showed that customers pay on average £66 a year for contents insurance.**

How much you pay will depend on a few factors, such as the sum insured you opt for and whether you live in a high-crime or flood-risk area.

average cost of home insurance

How much contents cover do I need?

It depends on the total value of your possessions. You need to calculate what it would cost you to replace everything you own. Our contents insurance calculator can help you work out how much your possessions are worth.

How can I save money on tenants insurance?

  1. Pay annually

    You can usually save money by paying for the whole year in one go, rather than in monthly instalments

  2. Compare every year

    If you let your tenants insurance auto-renew, you might not be getting the best deal

  3. Work out what you need

    Accurately calculate the value of your contents so you don’t end up under or overinsured and only pay for the optional extras that you need

  4. Consider security

    Ask your landlord if they would upgrade the locks and alarms – it’ll protect their investment, as well as your possessions

  5. Increase your voluntary excess

    Always make sure that you set it at a sum you'd be able to afford comfortably if you needed to make a claim though

What our expert says…

Your landlord is responsible for sorting out buildings insurance, as well as cover for any of the furniture they’ve provided that’s included in your rental agreement. Any items you own or that you’d take with you if you moved property won’t be covered by your landlord’s insurance. You’d need your own contents insurance for that.”
Ceri McMillan, Home insurance expert

Frequently asked questions

Renters insurance is just another name for home contents insurance for people who rent, rather than homeowners. It covers the cost of replacing or repairing the possessions in your rented accommodation if they’re lost or damaged due to things like fire, flood and theft.

This type of insurance covers accidental damage to your landlord’s property. It’s often included in contents insurance for renters and in some cases your tenancy agreement may stipulate that you need this cover in place.

It means you won’t be left out of pocket or lose your security deposit if you accidentally damage something in your rented accommodation. It includes things like the windows and bathroom suite in the property, or sofas and carpets in furnished accommodation.

It can also pay for legal costs if you had to go to court with your landlord over a dispute.

If you're a student living in rented accommodation away from home, you may have items in your room that are worth quite a lot of money. Things like your laptop, phone and television, as well as your clothes and books. So it can be a good idea to get contents insurance to protect them.

Check that you’re not already covered, though. If you’re a first-year student staying in halls, you may already have contents insurance through your accommodation provider. In some cases, students’ possessions are covered by their parents’ home insurance policy, but this isn’t always the case. Also be aware that, under your parents’ policy, your belongings may only be protected when they’re in your accommodation and not when you’re out and about. And you’ll want to check the level of cover as it might not be enough to cover all your possessions.

Yes, some providers will offer cover if you share a flat or house with other renters. You can look at policies that cover your own and your housemates’ possessions under one policy, or choose a policy that just covers your own possessions. This type of policy may state that your door must have a lock and that there must be signs of forced entry if you’re claiming for theft. There may also be the condition that you don’t leave your possessions in communal areas.

If you have personal possessions cover (sometimes called ‘cover away from home’) included in your contents policy, your items will be insured while abroad. This includes things like your phone, tablet, camera, jewellery and clothes.

While you’re on holiday, your belongings at home will still be covered provided you don’t exceed the unoccupied property limit on your policy (usually 30-60 days).

Yes, renters insurance covers you whether you live in a flat or a house. You need to tell your insurer about the type of property you live in though as it could affect the price of your policy.

Your landlord will have buildings insurance in place to cover the fabric of the property, plus its fixtures and fittings. And they’ll likely have a contents policy to cover any furniture they’ve provided, but their insurance won’t cover your possessions. You need your own contents insurance to protect your belongings.

Also, if you accidentally damage the fittings or the landlord’s furniture and furnishings, you could be held liable for repair or replacement. This is where having a contents policy which includes liability cover can come in handy.

If you work from home either part or full-time, you should let your home contents insurance provider know.

You may not see any changes to your premium, but it’s best to let your insurer know anyway.

In some cases, if you run a business from home and make or keep large amounts of stock on the premises then you’ll need a tailored contents policy. Similarly, you may need this type of policy if you have visitors coming to your home for business purposes (perhaps you’re a dog groomer or hairdresser) because of the extra risks involved.

Yes, most insurers will allow you to transfer your policy to a new address should you move and take on a new tenancy, or if you buy your own home. You need to inform your insurer and they may need to recalculate your level of risk based on your new location, so your premium could change.

Contents insurance won’t cover the payment of rent if you’re unable to pay.

If you’re concerned about payment due to possible loss of income in the future, you could consider taking out income protection insurance.

Page last reviewed: 07 March 2023

Page reviewed by Jasmine Hembury

^UK residents and home insurance purchases only. Excess refunded after claim settled. Excludes accidental loss or damage claims made on your home insurance. Full T&Cs apply.

**The average price paid annually for home insurance purchased in April 2023 by type of cover. For buildings and contents insurance, it was £172. For buildings insurance only, it was £139. For contents insurance only, it was £60.

[2]As of September 2023, there are 66 active home insurers on the panel at Go.Compare