Are you ready to un-loch some savings and shout hip-hip Moray?
Compare prices on hotels in Aberdeen with us, GoCompare! Search now to find your perfect hotel at an ideal rate in the Granite City.
- Union Street is the centre of the action in Aberdeen, and you'll find lots of hotels around this important shopping district
- The West End, a little further from Aberdeen's city centre, has a fine selection of four-star hotels. The only five-star hotel around Aberdeen, The Marcliffe Hotel and Spa, is three miles from central Aberdeen
- Budget chain hotels, like Holiday Inn Express and Premier Inn, are also well represented in Aberdeen. Wherever you plan to stay in the Granite City, shop around and compare prices before booking
Aberdeen is Europe's energy city and the main departure point for the oil rigs in the North Sea. Yet the Granite City is about more than business, and there's all sorts of museums, galleries and castles to explore. There's some top shopping and dining to experience too.
Outside the city, you have challenging links golf courses and the epic wilderness of the Cairngorms - the UK's largest national park with five of the six biggest mountains in Britain. Aberdeenshire is also home to more whisky distilleries than any other part of Scotland, making it a place of pilgrimage for serious fans of Scotch.
You'll find business hotels in Aberdeen, luxury ones too, as well as the usual chain hotels. Whatever your plans are up here in northeast Scotland, there's a hotel for you. So search now to find the latest deals on hotels in Aberdeen.
What's the best hotel in Aberdeen?
Well that's really up to you and what you want to do in Aberdeen. Weigh up whether you want to be near the airport or the action of Union Street. Is golf the reason for your visit or do you need to be by the universities? Is a gym non-negotiable? What about a pool? Once you know what you want to get out of your Aberdeen hotel, use our search widget to find available deals on the dates of your trip.
Saying that, there are always certain hotels that score well with customers and feature in travel guides. Here’s a few you might want to use as a starting point:
- Palm Court Hotel is a cosy and traditional 4-star hotel in the city's West End.
- Also in the West End, The Chester Hotel is a well-connected business hotel and is popular with the oil industry.
- If you're more into boutique hotels then consider the Malmaison Aberdeen, one mile west of the city centre.
- The Aberdeen Altens is another business hotel but has oodles of style that'll appeal to all visitors, as will the gym and leisure club facilities.
One other place we want to mention in this heads-up hasn't opened at the time of writing (July 2018), yet we feel it could be a bit special. The DogHouse will be BrewDog's first beer hotel, and will open in early 2019 at its brewery in Ellon, 20 miles up the road from Aberdeen. So, if you're after a hoppy holiday or a room with a brew, then keep an eye out for the latest news.
Hotels in Aberdeen city
Aberdeen is a compact city, so most hotels are pretty central and all the attractions in and around Aberdeen are easily within reach. However, some of the ones closest to Union Street, Aberdeen's major shopping district are Hilton Garden Inn Aberdeen City Centre, The Station Hotel, and Park Inn by Radisson Aberdeen.
Aberdeen airport hotels
Aberdeen's buzzing airport (it's the world's busiest heliport, fact fans) is only about seven miles from the city centre, which makes most of the city's hotels only a short taxi ride from the terminal. However, there are a couple of chain hotels that are clustered around the entrance to the airport including Holiday Inn Express, Crowne Plaza, Jury's Inn, Premier Inn, and Moxy if you prefer.
5-star hotels in Aberdeen
Aberdeen has the highest concentration of millionaires in the UK, so it's a little surprising to find there's only one five-star hotel nearby and that is The Marcliffe Hotel and Spa. It's a 15-minute drive from Aberdeen's city centre and has stunning gardens, an extensive wine cellar and whisky collection, and excellent facilities and activities including hunting, fishing and golf.
But those looking for luxury needn't be down heartened as the city is home to a sweet selection of top four-star hotels. Try the Copthorne Hotel Aberdeen, Atholl Hotel, and the Mercure Caledonian Aberdeen for starters.
Hotels near AECC Aberdeen
The Aberdeen Exhibition & Conference Centre, or AECC, attracts huge bands, epic sporting events, and important trade conferences. It's a little way out from the city centre on the A90, about a 15-minute taxi ride.
If you're coming for a gig or an exhibition then consider staying in the Holiday Inn Express that shares the same site as the AECC. Otherwise, close by hotels include The Brig Inn Hotel and Premier Inn Aberdeen North Bridge of Don.
How to find cheap hotels in Aberdeen
Single rooms are at a premium in Aberdeen, as oil workers stay in the city overnight before flying out to offshore rigs. But this also means that rooms on weekends are often a lot less expensive, which tends to be the opposite of how these things work.
Other things to think about when searching for cheap hotels in Aberdeen:
- Check what's on in AECC and work around any big gigs or events.
- If your dates are flexible, you're more likely to find a bargain.
- Have a quick check on the hotel's cancellation policy. Some will charge if you need to make a change or cancel last minute.
- Think about signing up to some hotel mailing lists as they sometimes offer discounts if you register with them.
- Check our sister site MyVoucherCodes for any promo codes and discounts.
- Book early if there's a hotel you have your heart set on, or try a last-minute booking if you're not fussed where you want to stay in Aberdeen. Either method can reveal cheap room rates but booking early is a safer way of doing it.
Finally, fit in a wee search with us to compare prices for hotels in Aberdeen.