Landlord insurance

Compare landlord insurance quotes with our partner Simply Business[1]

What's landlord insurance?

Landlord insurance protects property owners from financial losses associated with renting out a property.

It’ll provide theft, fire and weather damage cover for the structure of the rental property and any contents owned by the landlord that are within.

Landlord insurance can also cover things like loss of rent and legal expenses, but they may not be included as standard.

Depending on what type of cover you select, most policies will usually include cover for the following as standard:

  • Fixtures and fittings
  • Alternative accommodation
  • Public liability and property owner's liability cover
  • Trace and access
  • Malicious damage by tenants
  • Subsidence
  • Replacement of glass, locks and keys
landlord insurance

Coronavirus and landlords

The Coronavirus Act 2020 prevented landlords from starting eviction proceedings unless they gave tenants six months’ notice, but those measures expired on 31 May 2021. Now landlords in England must give tenants four months notice before starting eviction proceedings, although it's still six months notice in Scotland and Wales.

Contact your mortgage lender if you’re struggling to meet repayments. They may be able to help you by offering a payment holiday or other measures.

Find more information about your insurance, looking after your tenants, and managing your bills.

What does landlord insurance cover?

The cover you want to build into your policy will depend on the type of property you're letting out, and what level of security blanket you want. The more options you add, the more expensive your cover will get, so it's important to understand your options and requirements:

Buildings insurance

Much like a typical buildings insurance policy, landlord buildings insurance can help cover the cost of repairs in the event of damage to the structure of your property. It’ll usually cover damage by events such as fire, flooding, subsidence, theft or vandalism.

Find out more about buildings insurance >

Contents insurance

Landlord contents insurance is much the same as you would expect from a standard contents policy, keeping the items you own within the rental property covered – things like furniture and appliances.

If the property your renting isn’t furnished, you don’t need your own landlord contents insurance. Tenants should have their own contents insurance for items they keep in the property.

Find out more about contents insurance >

Accidental damage cover

Accidental damage cover can protect you from unexpected household mishaps such as a nail hammered into a pipe or spilt wine on a rug.

Find out more accidental damage cover >

Legal expenses

Legal expenses insurance can help to recover legal costs as a result of things like pursuing unpaid rent, tenant personal injury claims and eviction.

Find out more about legal expenses cover >

Landlord home emergency cover

Whether it’s a burst pipe, power outage or boiler failure, landlord home emergency cover safeguards your property with 24-hour support and assistance, protecting your tenants and your premises at the same time.

Find out more about home emergency cover >

Rent guarantee insurance

Loss of rent of up to £2500 a month can be covered by rent insurance. You’ll usually only be able to claim up to 8 months rent, and only after tenants haven’t paid for at least two months.

Find out more about rent guarantee insurance >

Public liability insurance

Sometimes referred to as landlord liability insurance, liability cover keeps you protected in the event of an injury suffered by a tenant or visitor as a result of your property.

For instance, if a shelf falls and hits a tenant, landlord liability insurance should contribute towards compensation and/or legal fees.

Find out more about public liability cover >

Get a landlord insurance quote

To get your landlord quotes, you’ll be asked for a few details about the following:

  1. Your rental property

    Whether it’s a residential or commercial property, the type and age of the building and any materials used for construction

  2. Your tenants

    Their eployment status and any background and identity checks you’ve ran

  3. The cover you want

    Do you need buildings and/or contents insurance? Plus any addons you need

  4. Previous claims

    Details about any claims made in the time you’ve owned the property

  5. Payment preference

    Whether you’re looking to pay your premium monthly or annually

How to get cheaper quotes for landlords’ insurance

The cost of your premium may vary depending on the level of cover you choose, the type of property your letting out and your tenants’ situation.

Here are 5 tips for getting a cheaper premium:

  1. Tighten up your security

    Reduce your risk by installing burglar and smoke alarms within the property

  2. Don’t overestimate the cover you need

    Only select the cover you really need and correctly valuate the rebuild cost of your property and contents

  3. Don’t leave your property unoccupied

    You might need extra cover if you leave it empty for a long period

  4. Turn pets away

    Your policy might not cover pet damage, or you might have to pay extra for cover if your tenants have a dog or cat

  5. Compare quotes

    Shopping around is a great way to get a good deal

How much landlord insurance costs depends on things like the type of cover you need and how big your property is. If you can prove your risk management is up to scratch – such as by having good security and suitable tenant checks in place - this could reduce the cost of your cover.
Ryan Fulthorpe - GoCompare's home insurance expert

[1] introduces customers to Simply Business who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.'s relationship with Simply Business is limited to that of a business partnership, no common ownership or control rights exist between us. Please note, we cannot be held responsible for the content of external websites and by using the links stated to access these separate websites you will be subject to the terms of use applying to those sites

Page last reviewed: 15 September 2021

Next review due: 15 December 2021

GoCompare uses cookies. By using the website you agree with our use of cookies.