Earlier this year we sent everyone who bought car insurance with us a voucher to get their MOT for a tenner. The offer's now finished, but don't worry – you can still get an MOT for a great price when you compare costs before you book.
The MOT test checks that your car is safe to be on the road – that it meets legal and environmental standards. Things like the:
You can find out more about what's included in an MOT test here.
If you can find your most recent MOT certificate, it'll tell you when your next MOT's due.
If not, you can enter your car's registration number to check your MOT online.
You'll need to get your vehicle an MOT test:
You can get an MOT test up to a month before the previous one runs out to keep the same renewal date.
The email with your voucher code will contain instructions that direct you to the WhoCanFixMyCar.com booking portal. From there you'll be able to see all the available garages and book your MOT. You need to book your car in to have its test before 30 June to be able to use your £10 car MOT voucher.
You can have a partial retest for free if you leave your car at the garage for repairs and the partial retest is done within 10 working days.
If your MOT's still valid you can take your vehicle away to repair. If it's run out, you can only take it to have the defects fixed, or to another pre-booked MOT elsewhere, which you'll need to pay for.
If you decide to go to another mechanic or garage to carry out any work for you after a failed MOT, it's a good idea to get a written agreement of the work and price agreed beforehand.
GoCompare and WhoCanFixMyCar.com will not be a party to any agreement or contract between you and a mechanic or garage as a result of your use of the £10 car MOT offer where your vehicle has failed its MOT.
There's more information about retesting, leaving your vehicle for repair and taking your vehicle away for repairs here.
You choose the date and time of your MOT when you book it, so make a note of it. It's likely the garage will send you a confirmation of the time of your MOT.
If you're not sure, get in touch with the garage where your MOT is due to take place.
Get in touch with the garage that you booked your MOT with.
If you booked your MOT with WhoCanFixMyCar.com and set up an account, you can manage your booking and make cancellations directly on the site. The only time you can’t is if your booking is within the next 24 hours.
If you don’t set up an account, you’ll be emailed the garage’s details, and you’ll need to talk to the garage directly to cancel your booking.
Let the garage know about any help or adjustments you might need when you make your booking. They'll do what they can to help you.
You can also get in touch with your garage if you've already made your booking (you’ll be sent an email with their details).
Some garages do offer this service, but you'd have to check before you book to make sure.
If you're using our £10 MOT voucher, garages are unable to offer this service.
If your complaint is about the garage, you can get in touch with the garage itself to make a complaint - you’ll be emailed the contact details when you make your booking. You can also leave a review at WhoCanFixMyCar.com
If you don’t get a response you’re happy with, then please contact the customer services team at WhoCanFixMyCar.com to follow up.
If your complaint is to do with the MOT process itself because you:
you can appeal or complain to the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA).
If you have a complaint about WhoCanFixMyCar.com, you can contact them directly.
1. For the purposes of these terms and conditions, the following terms shall have the following meanings:
1.1 Eligible Customer: means any customer who is 17 years of age or older and resident in the Territories and who provides a valid email address when obtaining car insurance quotes via the GoCompare Website;
1.2 GoCompare: means Gocompare.com Limited (a company incorporated in England and Wales under company number 5799376 and whose registered office is at Imperial House, Imperial Way, Newport NP10 8UH);
1.3 GoCompare Reference Number: means the reference number attributed by GoCompare to any car insurance quote obtained via the GoCompare Website;
1.4 GoCompare Website: means www.gocompare.com;
1.5 MOT Garage: means a participating person or business registered with the Provider as a mechanic providing MOT Services on the Provider Website;
1.6 MOT Services: means a car MOT service provided by one of the Provider’s panel of MOT Garages;
1.7 MOT Voucher: means a voucher redeemable with an MOT Garage via the Provider’s Website, which will entitle an Eligible Customer to book MOT Services for ten pounds (£10) during the Redemption Period;
1.8 Provider: means Whocanfixmycar.com Ltd (a company incorporated in England and Wales under company number 07455738 and whose registered office is at Floor 6, Suite 6a, West One, Forth Banks, Newcastle upon Tyne, England, NE1 3PA);
1.9 Provider Website: means the Provider’s website accessible via the link provided in the Redemption Email;
1.10 Qualifying Car Insurance Policy: means an insurance policy providing comprehensive, third-party fire and theft cover or third party only cover in respect of a private or commercial motorised car purchased by an Eligible Customer as a result of that customer obtaining car insurance quotes via the GoCompare Website and then purchasing a car insurance policy either via the GoCompare Website or by telephone with the insurer directly PROVIDED THAT where a car insurance policy is purchased by an Eligible Customer by telephone with an insurer directly, that customer shall provide the insurer with a valid GoCompare Reference Number before the car insurance policy is purchased;
1.11 Qualifying Period: means the period between 00:00:01 on 1 April 2021 and 23:59:59 on 15 June 2021;
1.12 Redemption Period: the period between 00:00:01 on 1 April 2021 and 23:59:59 on 30 June 2021;
1.13 Territories: means England, Wales and Scotland;
2. Only Eligible Customers who purchase a Qualifying Car Insurance Policy during the Qualifying Period shall be entitled to receive an MOT Voucher.
3. GoCompare will use reasonable endeavours to ensure that an MOT Voucher will automatically be sent from GoCompare to all Eligible Customers via email within forty eight (48) hours (“Redemption Email”) of GoCompare verifying that an Eligible Customer has purchased a Qualifying Car Insurance Policy at any time during the Qualifying Period.
4. To redeem the MOT Voucher, Eligible Customers will need to follow the link in the Redemption Email (and follow all steps provided within the Redemption Email) and proceed to book and pay for an MOT with an MOT Garage via the Provider’s Website within the Redemption Period.
5. Eligible Customers will be required to set up an account with the Provider as part of the booking process to enable them to redeem the MOT Voucher.
6. MOT Vouchers can only be used to receive an MOT during the Redemption Period.
7. If the MOT Voucher has not been redeemed by the end of the Redemption Period, it will automatically expire.
8. All cancellations and amendments to bookings shall be governed by the terms and conditions of the Provider and/or the MOT Garage and you are therefore strongly encouraged to check these terms prior to booking.
9. Bookings will be subject to availability of the MOT Garage.
10. MOT Services shall exclude:
10.1 any type of vehicle other than a car;
10.2 any additional work for repairs to correct an MOT test failure; and
10.3 any MOT re-test costs, including in the event an Eligible Customer takes their car to another garage following an MOT failure.
11. If GoCompare is unable to verify an Eligible Customer’s purchase of a Qualifying Car Insurance Policy, GoCompare reserve the right to revoke any MOT Voucher which is issued.
12. It is always GoCompare’s aim to provide the best possible service. However, any complaints about the MOT Voucher and its redemption should be directed to GoCompare at email@example.com, and we may in some circumstances refer these to the Provider.
13. By redeeming the MOT Voucher, you will be deemed to have accepted and agreed to be bound by these terms and conditions.
14. To the maximum extent permitted by law, GoCompare will not in any circumstances be responsible or liable to compensate an Eligible Customer or accept any liability for any loss, damage, personal injury or death occurring as a result of the MOT Services, except where caused by the negligence of GoCompare, its agents, distributors and/or that of its employees. Your statutory rights are not affected.
15. GoCompare reserves the right to withdraw, cancel, suspend or amend this offer at any time.
17. These terms and conditions and any dispute or claim arising out of them shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales and the parties irrevocably submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.
Based on www.reviews.co.uk: 92% of customers who left a review recommended us. Our average rating of 4.6 out of 5 is from 10,211 people who left a review for car insurance comparison only. Last checked in March 2020.