Scooter and moped insurance


Couple with a dog on a motorbike

What’s scooter and moped insurance?

Scooters and mopeds are types of small motorcycle, so you need motorbike insurance to ride them legally.

‘Moped’ is often used as a catch-all term for any bike up to 50cc although strictly speaking moped means a bike you pedal to get started. In reality, these days what most people describe as a ‘moped’ will have a start button instead.

'Scooter’ describes a bike with a step-through frame and usually small wheels.

Lots of them are also under 50cc, so get described as a ‘moped’, but you can get much bigger scooters, including ones of around 600cc that can go on the motorway.

Scooters and mopeds tend to be cheap to insure because 'super-scooters' aside, they have smaller engines and lower speeds than other types of motorbike.

Two adult men chatting and laughing in a garden

Types of scooter or moped insurance

You’ll need to decide what level of cover you need:

  • Third party only covers you only for damage you caused to someone else’s vehicle or property
  • Third party, fire and theft covers you for third party damages as well as fire and theft
  • Comprehensive covers you for damage to your bike as well as fire, theft, and third party cover

It’s possible to get insurance to ride mopeds and smaller scooters on the road without passing a test. You can ride as a learner with L-plates after taking compulsory basic training (CBT). You’ll need to hold a provisional licence.

If you do buy your insurance before you’ve passed your test, you won’t be able to get pillion cover.

That’s because you can’t carry any passengers while you’re a learner.

Your insurance might get cheaper once you’ve passed a moped or motorcycle test, as you’ll have proved that you’re a capable rider.

Let your insurer know as soon as you pass.

Get the right cover for your moped or scooter

today by comparing quotes

Compare prices

Do you need a licence to drive a moped?

You’ll need either a provisional or full GB driving licence to ride a moped (up to 50cc). You also need to be at least 16 years old.

Unless you passed your driving test before 1 February 2001, you'll also need to complete your compulsory basic training (CBT).

Do you need insurance for a moped?

You need to have third party insurance to ride a moped. It’s the law.

If you ride a moped without insurance, you could be fined and get dix penalty points put on your licence. The policy might seize and destroy your moped too.

How to get scooter or moped insurance

Your scooter or moped will be covered by motorbike insurance.

We can help you find the right policy when you compare quotes with us.

Most mopeds and scooter are suitable for learners and have an engine size between 49cc and 125cc, making them quite cheap to insure.

To get quotes, you’ll need to know things like:

  • Your number plate
  • Your annual mileage
  • How many years no claims bonus you have
  • Details of any convictions
  • Details of any accidents in the last five years

You’ll also need to let us know if and when you passed your Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) and what type of licence you hold.

Looking to sell an old motorbike you don't use anymore? Get a free online valuation

Sell my bike

[1] introduces customers to Vast Visibility Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.'s relationship with Vast Visibility Limited is limited to that of a business partnership, no common ownership or control rights exist between us. Please note, we cannot be held responsible for the content of external websites and by using the links stated to access these separate websites you will be subject to the terms of use applying to those sites.