Motorhome insurance


Family travelling in a motorhome

What is motorhome insurance?

Motorhome insurance covers your motorhome when it’s parked up or out on the road. Just like car insurance, a comprehensive policy covers:

  • Traffic accidents
  • Repairing damage to your motorhome or other vehicles
  • Fire damage
  • Theft and damage caused by break-ins
  • You and your passangers, pedestrians, other drivers and their passangers
  • Insuring your motorhome is a legal requirement, but avoid opting for the cheapest policy without reading the insurer’s info.
Young adult man unpacking his motorhome

How much cover do I need?

Comprehensive is the highest level of motorhome insurance you can get. It usually protects the camper’s contents, including expensive camping gear and personal possessions that make your van feel like home, or you can get personal possessions cover as an add-on.

You can also get third party theft and fire (TPTF) and third party only (TPO) policies. The quotes might be more affordable than comprehensive - depending on your driving history and situation - but you’ll have to pay for some or all of your repairs if you claim.

It’s worth comparing all three types of cover to make sure you get the right policy at the right price.

Depending on the policy, you may also be covered for driving abroad if you’re going camping in Europe.

What is a motorhome?

A motorhome is a vehicle that’s used for transport and living accommodation and can range from larger vehicles, like A-class, to smaller models including self-built motorhomes or coach-built vehicles.

What’s the difference between a motorhome and a campervan?

Motorhomes are large and have clearly defined areas for living and driving, with permanent fixtures like sinks and cupboards. There’s also space for sleeping. They’re designed for travelling around the country.

Campervans tend to be smaller with basic facilities for sleeping and cooking.

When it comes to insurance there’s one big difference - a campervan can be covered by car or van insurance depending on its specifications, but motorhomes are defined as a motor caravan by the DVLA and need a specialist policy.

When we help you to compare quotes, we use your motorhomes’ registration number to confirm it’s a motorhome and get you the right cover.

Motorhome insurance for all shapes and sizes!

Campers, compacts, RVs, demountables and more

Get quotes

Get started with motorhome insurance

Cost of motorhome insurance depends on factors, like:

Your motorhome mileage

Keeping your annual mileage below a pre-agreed limit can mean substantial savings on your premiums.

You might have to sign a declaration stating how many miles your vehicle’s done at the start of the policy or send a photograph of your odometer to the insurer.

You can work out your mileage with our mileage calculator.

How do you use yours?

If your camper is the only vehicle in your life and you use it for daily driving and commuting, as well as for your holidays, then it’s likely to be more expensive and difficult to cover.

If you leave your motorhome on its parking spot for weeks at a time and only get behind the wheel for leisure use, you could be spoilt for choice with a range of cheaper policies from providers specialising in this type of cover.

No-claims discount

A few years of claim-free driving can substantially reduce your premiums.

Your no-claims history doesn’t need to have been earned on a motorhome - most insurers will let you use a no-claims history earned on a car, so long as it’s not already in use on another vehicle.

Unique vehicles

From historic converted VW buses to quirky micro-campers adapted from large cars, it can be trickier to find cover for modifications or anything less than standard.

Our panel of insurers includes providers that specialise in these sorts of vehicles, so you’ll still be able to find cover.

Club discounts

Being a member of a camping club or association can get you a discount on your premium, but you’ll have to provide the insurer with proof that you’re a member.

The Caravan and Motorhome Club has one million members and offers driving safety courses that might net you a further discount.

How to make your motorhome insurance cheaper

There are several ways you might be able to save on your motorhome or campervan cover:

  1. Pay annually

    If you can, paying your insurance in one go usually means it’ll be cheaper

  2. Security improvements

    Consider motorhome security devices like alarms and wheel clamps – although the cost of fitting might take some years to recoup through insurance savings

  3. Get the right cover for self-builds

    Modifications for any vehicle can be costlier to insure, but if your motorhome’s heavily modified or you fitted it out from scratch, insurers who specialise in this might be able to cover it cheaper

  4. Get qualified

    Getting some advanced driving qualifications could get you a discount

  5. Park somewhere safe

    Use your garage or driveway if you have one – parking on the road comes with extra risks that can make insurance more expensive

  6. Beware of add-ons

    Only buy the extra insurance features you need – so don’t add breakdown insurance if you have another policy that covers you already

  7. Shop around

    Compare motorhome insurance quotes to get the best deal

About Go.Compare

Go.Compare is a UK price comparison website that lets you compare the cost and features of a wide variety of insurance policies, financial products and broadband deals from a network of trusted partners.

We’re committed to helping you find the right product at the right price. When we launched in 2006, we became the first comparison site to display policy details and provider ratings rather than just listing prices. We're also the only comparison website to be invited to join the British Insurance Brokers’ Association (BIBA) and we're authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).

Our product comparisons are unbiased. We don't charge you to use our services, and we don't accept advertising or sponsored listings. Instead, we make money from the providers that appear on our site, who pay us a fee when you buy through us.

You can find out more about Go.Compare on our about us page or if you have a question, get in touch.

You may also like to compare

Page last reviewed: 23 February 2023
Page reviewed by Ryan Fulthorpe

[1] introduces customers to i-Wonder Aggregator Services Limited which is an Appointed Representative of ITC Compliance Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.'s relationship with i-Wonder Aggregator Services Limited is that of a business partnership, no ownership or control rights exists between us.