GoCompare uses cookies. By using the website you agree with our use of cookies. Continue Find out how to manage cookies and view our policy here

Frequently asked questions on motorhome insurance

Get the answers to FAQs on motorhome insurance policies, then compare quotes to find the right deal for you.

Do I need motorhome insurance?

All vehicles that are used on the roads must be insured and it makes sense to protect your investment with motorhome insurance.

Read more in our beginners' guide to motorhome insurance.

What types of vehicle are covered by motorhome insurance?

This will depend on your provider and the policies they offer. Note that some will only cover professionally built motorhomes rather than DIY or self-built models. The eight main classes to consider are:Motorhome

  • American RV (recreational vehicle)
  • Van conversion
  • Camper van
  • Coachbuilt or overcab
  • Micro
  • Compact
  • Low-profile
  • A-class

What types of motorhome insurance are available?

There are three main types of policy - third party only, third party, fire and theft and comprehensive.

Some insurance companies will offer discounts if you improve the security of your motorhome

Policies can vary widely between insurers, but consider features such as:

  • New-for-old cover
  • European cover
  • Courtesy car options
  • Vandalism cover
  • Personal effects cover
  • Motorhome equipment cover

What exclusions are placed on motorhome insurance?

Typical exclusions on a motorhome insurance policy include:

  • Motorhomes used as a permanent place of residence
  • Claims arising from your motorhome being used as a place of trade
  • Theft of contents unless there is forced entry
  • Wear and tear
  • Insect or vermin damage

Are there discounts available?

Insurers may offer discounts on your premium provided you fulfil certain standards including:Sun loungers

  • Improving security, perhaps by fitting an approved alarm, immobiliser or tracking device
  • Joining a motorhome club or owner's group
  • Secure storage
  • Fitting a reversing camera or sensor
  • Low mileage

What's the difference between a motorhome and a caravan?

Motorhomes contain an engine and can be driven, whereas caravans do not and have to be towed by another vehicle.

Is my primary home insured if I spend a long time in my motorhome?

Check with your insurer if you plan on spending more than three weeks away at a time. For homes that are unoccupied for longer periods, there is specialist unoccupied property insurance.

Any other questions?

See if you can find the answers in our motorhome insurance guides.

By Sean Davies