Caravan holiday travel insurance

Compare travel insurance for caravan and campervan holidays

Types of policy 

We’re a nation of caravan lovers. But, as with any other type of trip, you’ll need travel insurance, even if you’re staying in the UK. This applies whether your holiday home is a static caravan or tourer.

If you own or are hiring a campervan or motorhome for your holiday, motorhome insurance is a legal requirement.

Here are some other things you’ll need to think about when taking out a policy:

Single or multi-trip?

If you’ve rented a static caravan or hired a tourer, single-trip insurance is your best bet if you’re only planning one holiday over the next year. But if you’ve got several trips lined up, you’ll save time and money with annual multi-trip cover.

How long is your holiday?

Annual policies usually cover multiple trips of up to 30 days. If any of your planned holidays are longer than this, you’ll need long-stay travel insurance.

Who are you travelling with?

If it’s a family camping holiday, taking out a family travel insurance policy can be more cost-effective. You can take out single-trip and multi-trip policies for families too.

caravan holiday travel insurance

What’s covered?

A camping holiday travel insurance policy will cover you for:

  • Illness and medical emergencies
  • Theft and loss of belongings
  • Cancellation/curtailment
  • Personal liability

Types of specialist cover include:

Always check through your policy so you know exactly what you’re covered for, and compare quotes to get the best deal.

Additional types of cover

If you own the caravan or motorhome you’re going to be holidaying in, there are other policies and extras:

  1. Caravan insurance

    Covers your static or tourer against things like fire, theft, accidental damage and weather damage

  2. Motorhome insurance

    It's required by law, and covers theft and accidents like standard car policies, as well as your camper’s contents

  3. Caravan breakdown cover

    To protect your caravan if your vehicle was to break down and need recovering while on the road

  4. European breakdown cover

    In case your standard breakdown cover doesn’t protect you for trips abroad

Caravan insurance hints and tips

Comparing caravan holiday travel insurance will help you to get the right policy for you and your trip. Here are some extra things to bear in mind:


Make sure your policy includes enough cover for the value of all of your belongings, especially if you’re taking any expensive gadgets or equipment

Single item limit

There'll be a single item limit in most policies - the maximum an insure will pay out for one item. Consider extra cover for belongings over this amount


The lower the cost of the policy, the higher the excess tends to be. If you want cover for an expensive item, consider a low-excess policy


If you’re travelling far from home, it’ll be expensive to recover your caravan and car back to the UK if you break down. Make sure your policy includes enough cover for the associated costs

Travel insurance guides and tools

You may also be interested in

Caravan insurance image

Caravan insurance

Insure your tourer or get cover for your static. Compare caravan insurance quotes

Life insurance image

Life insurance

Ease the financial impact that your death could have on your loved ones

Credit cards image

Credit cards

Use the smart search to find cards you’re eligible for without affecting your credit rating

[1] introduces customers to which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.'s relationship with is limited to that of a business partnership, no common ownership or control rights exist between us. Please note, we cannot be held responsible for the content of external websites and by using the links stated to access these separate websites you will be subject to the terms of use applying to those sites