Travel insurance for New Zealand

Compare quotes and get the right travel insurance for your trip to New Zealand with[1]

Covid-19 (coronavirus) – important information

From 17th May 2021, a travel traffic light system is being introduced and trips to green list countries will be legally permitted if you live in England. Strict border control measures will remain in place for your return to the UK.

Before you buy, you should consider the implications of your destination moving from a green list country to amber or red as you may incur additional costs and/or face travel restrictions that will not be covered by your travel insurance.

The traffic light rules only dictate what you have to do on returning to England – so even if a country is on the green list, you still need to check your destination's entry requirements and the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) advice for travelling there. If the Foreign Office has advised against travel to your destination and you still decide to travel, you will not be covered by any travel insurance policy you purchase.

A few insurers do offer cover If you are an essential traveller, however if you are in doubt or have any queries, please check the policy wording, or contact your chosen provider before purchasing.

Until dates have been set to permit non-essential international travel from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland it is important that you follow all the rules that apply to your country of residence.

What travel insurance do I need for New Zealand?

If anything goes wrong with your flights or health when you’re in New Zealand, it’ll become costly very quickly - the right travel insurance is a must.

You need worldwide travel insurance, but the exact policy depends on how you plan to spend your time in New Zealand.

If you’re going to do any extreme sports, for example, you’ll need to check policies to what's included and take out additional protection if you need it.

But even before you travel, it’s best to get your policy early. If the airline goes into administration, or you can’t travel for health reasons (excluding pre-existing conditions), you’ll be covered.

Annual insurance

If you’ve got more trips planned this year, annual multi-trip insurance will probably work out cheaper than taking out multiple single-trip policies - compare policies to see if you can save.

Long-stay cover

If you decide to extend your stay, or have a longer trip planned, check how many consecutive days you’ll be covered for on a policy.

Some single-trip policies will cover you for up to and including 62 days. If you’re staying for longer, or backpacking, you’ll probably need to take out long-stay cover.

Healthcare in New Zealand

New Zealand has a reciprocal health agreement with the UK provided by the Accident Compensation Corporation. It means that UK citizens, on a short-term visit to the country, will receive the same healthcare as New Zealand citizens.

You’ll be able to access emergency healthcare, for example, if you need to go to A&E, and see a GP.

It won’t include treatment for existing illnesses, unless they get significantly worse whilst you’re in New Zealand. You’ll need to make sure you have adequate medical cover for any other healthcare costs.

What other cover options might I need?

  • Cover for delays or cancelled flights

    The flight to New Zealand is long, with at least one stop for refuelling. Any delays or cancellations could prove costly, especially if you miss a connecting flight - consider taking out cover in case.

    Find out more
  • Lost or stolen baggage

    The amount of cover you can get varies between policies, so check that you’ve got enough cover for your possessions, and what excess you’ll have to pay.

    Find out more
  • Adventurous activities cover

    If you’ve got any activities in mind check policies for exclusions - you might need to take out additional cover.

    Find out more

Travel insurance for a working holiday in New Zealand

You’ll need to tell your insurer if you’re planning on a working holiday. There are specialist policies available too if a standard insurer won’t cover you - whether they’ll cover you or not might depend on your occupation.

Make sure you’ve got a work or resident visa that lets you earn money during your stay in New Zealand. New Zealand Immigration explains the visas you can get to work in New Zealand.

Do I need a visa for New Zealand?

If you don’t plan to work in New Zealand, as a British passport holder you won’t need to apply for a visa to visit the country. Provided you have a return/onward ticket, you can stay for up to six months.

Starting from 1 October 2019, most visitors to New Zealand will need to request an NZETA (New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority) to gain access to the country. For British citizens, the authority means you can stay for up to six months.

[1] introduces customers to which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.'s relationship with is limited to that of a business partnership, no common ownership or control rights exist between us. Please note, we cannot be held responsible for the content of external websites and by using the links stated to access these separate websites you will be subject to the terms of use applying to those sites

GoCompare uses cookies. By using the website you agree with our use of cookies.