Travel insurance for Poland

Compare travel insurance for your trip to Poland.

couple in a tent

Do I need travel insurance for Poland?

It’s not a legal requirement to enter the country, but wherever you go on holiday, it’s sensible to take out travel insurance.

It can give you peace of mind and ensure you’re not left out of pocket should something unexpected happen to derail your plans.

For example, it can cover medical expenses if you fall ill or have an accident while in Poland, plus pay for the cost of transporting you back home if needed.

It could also pay out if you have to cancel your holiday or if Covid-19 affects your travel plans (depending on the policy).

If your luggage is lost, delayed or stolen, travel insurance can cover the cost of replacing any essential items.

And personal liability cover can pay for legal fees if you injure someone or damage their property while you’re abroad and they sue you for damages.

Father posing for a selfie with his two sons

What travel insurance do I need for Poland?

A European travel policy will cover you for a visit to Poland.

You can take out single-trip travel insurance for your holiday, but if you’re planning on going away a few times in a year, then an annual travel insurance policy can cover all your trips and could save you money in the long run.

Depending on how many of you are travelling together, you could consider group travel insurance, which can cover up to 10 people under one policy. This can work out cheaper than taking out separate policies for each person. Similarly, couples’ or family travel insurance can prove cost-effective.

If you’re intending on doing any adventurous activities or winter sports when you’re in Poland, check that your policy includes them as standard. If not, you’ll need to take out extra cover at an additional cost.

What’s included?

Most travel insurance policies cover the following as standard:

  • Medical expenses – Access to emergency treatment and private healthcare. Be sure to mention any pre-existing health conditions to your insurance provider, though, or you risk not being covered
  • Repatriation - Pays for the cost of returning you home to the UK if an illness or accident requires it
  • Personal accident and liability – Pays for legal fees if you’re being sued because you’ve caused injury to someone or damaged their property in an accident
  • Holiday cancellation, delays or curtailment – Depending on the circumstances, you could receive a payout
  • Personal belongings and baggage – Pays out if they’re lost, stolen or damaged (provided they weren’t left unattended)

What’s not included?

In general, a standard Poland travel insurance policy won’t cover things like:

  • Travelling against government advice - This will invalidate your policy
  • Change of heart – Deciding you don’t want to go isn’t a valid reason for a claim
  • Covid-19 lockdowns, quarantines and government restrictions - Only a handful of policies will cover cancellation in these circumstances
  • Taking part in extreme sports and activities - A standard policy won’t cover you for dangerous activities like hang gliding or bungee jumping. You’ll need to take out extra cover for these kinds of risky sports. Check your policy to see what’s included

Healthcare in Poland

Medical facilities in Poland are of a good standard. Not all medical staff speak English, so in some instances there may be communication difficulties to contend with.

The GHIC (Global Health Insurance Card) which is replacing the EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) entitles you to free emergency medical care at state-run hospitals and healthcare centres in Poland.

But you should also have travel insurance in place to cover other unexpected or non-urgent health treatment. It can also pay for the costs of repatriation should you fall ill and need to get home.

For emergency medical treatment in Poland, dial 112. Contact your insurance company if you’re referred to a hospital or other healthcare facility for treatment.

Before packing medication for your trip to Poland, check the TravelHealthPro website to see if there are any restrictions on what you can take with you. This applies to both prescribed and over-the-counter medicine.

Do I need any vaccinations for Poland?

Before you travel make sure you’re up to date with all routine UK vaccinations and boosters like the MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) vaccine and the diphtheria-tetanus-polio vaccine.

The following vaccines are also recommended for some travellers:

  • Hepatitis A
  • Hepatitis B
  • Rabies - Rabies has been reported in domestic animals in Poland
  • Tick-borne encephalitis (TBE) – May be required if camping or hiking in forested areas during the summer

See the TravelHealthPro website for more information.

Do I need a visa for Poland?

British citizens don’t need a visa to go on holiday to Poland. As it’s part of the Schengen area (a group of 26 European countries), you’re entitled to visit Poland for up to 90 days within a 180-day period.

However, if you’re intending to stay for longer than 90 days, you should check with the Polish embassy to see which type of visa you need.

Your passport needs to be less than 10 years old on the day you arrive in Poland, and valid for at least three months after the day you are due to leave.

Driving in Poland

Your travel insurance should pay for any medical treatment you require as a result of a car accident (provided you weren’t under the influence of alcohol or drugs).

However, you won’t be covered for any damage to your vehicle or anyone else’s, or if your car is stolen. That is where your car insurance policy steps in.

If you’re taking your own car to Poland, your UK vehicle insurance will give you minimum third-party cover. Check with your provider to see whether you need to pay an additional premium for comprehensive cover while you travel.

If you’re hiring a car while in Poland, make sure it has the insurance you need before signing the hire agreement.

To drive in Poland, you need to be aged 18 or over with a full, valid driving licence.

Frequently asked questions

You can seek medical advice from the Ministry of Health 24-hour line on 800 190 590 (press six for English language advice). It will let you know what steps to take and hospitals that have Covid-19 facilities.

Poland has a public health service which is free of charge, as well as private healthcare, which you need to pay for.

You can access free emergency healthcare with a GHIC, which is replacing the EHIC.

But you should always take out a travel insurance policy which can cover you for so much more than emergency healthcare, including repatriation costs to get you home and cancelled flights.