Spain travel insurance

Get travel insurance for trips to Spain, the Canaries and Balearic Islands 

What travel insurance do I need to visit Spain? 

Your trip to Spain doesn’t require travel insurance, but it’ll give you peace of mind that you’re covered whatever activities are on your agenda. 

Your policy should cover travel to Europe, your planned activities, plus unexpected or expensive situations, for example:

  • If you seek medical care or emergency treatment 
  • If your trip is cancelled or curtailed 
  • The stay is extended for reasons beyond your control 
  • Your luggage and possessions are lost or stolen 
Travel insurance for Spain

Healthcare in Spain 

Spain has both public and private healthcare systems. 

British citizens holding a valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) can access state-subsidised healthcare at Spain’s hospitals.

Since the UK left the EU, EHIC cards have been replaced by GHIC (Global health insurance cards). Similarly to the EHIC, these allow you to access state provided medical treatment whilst abroad. It's worth noting that the GHIC card is only valid in EU countries.

You can apply for an GHIC using the NHS website. 

If you lose your GHIC, or don’t have it when you need treatment in Spain, you can call the Department of Health Overseas Healthcare Team on +441912181999 to get a Provisional Replacement Certificate.

You may still need travel insurance to help cover healthcare costs. There are private doctors and hospitals also providing care for a fee - you may be taken to a private facility by ambulance in an emergency, where your EHIC or GHIC won't cover you. 

Medical repatriation (getting you back to the UK) also isn’t covered by an EHIC or GHIC but it’s covered by your travel insurance under medical expenses.  

Cancelled flights and ferries 

If your flight is delayed you may be entitled to compensation from your travel provider under EU rules, but you must have evidence of loss.  

If you arrive at your destination later than planned because public transport is delayed, you can usually claim on your travel insurance for a predetermined amount listed in your policy. It's there to help you pay for food and phone calls while you wait for another connection. If there’s a long delay, at least 12 hours, you may also claim for a proportion of accommodation costs and additional travel expenses.   

If travel disruption cover is included in your policy, the costs related to delays and cancellation are more likely to be covered but it’s not a standard feature of every policy. If you want that cover, check policy docs when you're comparing to make sure it's a feature.

Holiday curtailment cover reimburses the cost of unused accommodation and flights if you fall ill while abroad, a family member falls ill in the UK or there’s an emergency that means you have to return home early. It’s not standard in every policy. 

Driving in Spain 

Whether you’re taking your own car or hiring one, you must be insured to drive in Spain. Your UK car insurance should cover you, but it'll usually only be third party cover. Find out more about car insurance for driving in Europe

Water sports holidays and adventurous activities

If you plan to do any water sports or adventurous activities while you’re in Spain, you may need to add cover for water sports or extreme sports to your policy. 

Some activities are covered by a standard insurance policy, but there are often exclusions for more hairy activities. You'll need to upgrade your cover for things like surfing, scuba diving, jet skiing, white water rafting, banana boating, quad biking, horse-riding or even renting scooters or mopeds. 

Check your policy to make sure you’re covered. 

You may also be interested in

[1] introduces customers to which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.'s relationship with is limited to that of a business partnership, no common ownership or control rights exist between us. Please note, we cannot be held responsible for the content of external websites and by using the links stated to access these separate websites you will be subject to the terms of use applying to those sites