Gap year travel insurance

Compare gap year travel insurance 

If you’ve just finished your studies, or are taking a career break for an extended holiday, gap year travel insurance is the right kind of cover for your trip.

It's different to annual travel insurance because it provides cover for a longer period of time, usually 12 months. With an annual policy there’s a cap on the number of days you can be away each time, usually 30-60 days.

There’s also additional cover, designed to cover the activities and type of travel that you’ll be doing.

You’ll sometimes hear gap year insurance called ‘backpackers travel insurance’ - it’s the same thing. But all policies are different, regardless of what they’re called, so check the insurance you’re getting is the right cover for you before you buy.

gap year travel insurance

Things to remember:

  1. Vaccinations

    Make sure you’re up to date on vaccinations. You won’t be covered if you get ill when it could’ve been prevented with a vaccination

  2. Do your homework

    Do your homework on the countries you’re travelling to before you head off. Check the website for more information and search by country

  3. Medical cover

    Check the medical cover small print of your policy. Most insurers won’t cover you if your incident is alcohol or drug related

  4. Don't delay

    Get your gap year insurance in place as soon as you book your trip, so you’re covered for cancellation too

  5. Check for exclusions

    Check your policy for restricted countries and exclusion clauses

  6. Contact details

    If your insurer has a 24-hour helpline, keep a note of this number - it’s handy if you’re travelling alone or for the first time

You may also be interested in

[1] introduces customers to which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.'s relationship with is limited to that of a business partnership, no common ownership or control rights exist between us. Please note, we cannot be held responsible for the content of external websites and by using the links stated to access these separate websites you will be subject to the terms of use applying to those sites