Long-stay travel insurance

Compare long-stay travel insurance quotes with[1]

Travel insurance - Important Coronavirus update

As of 04:00 BST on 4 October, the current traffic light system will change for travel abroad.

The new system will be simplified to just a red list. However there’s still a risk that non-red countries could move to the red list on short-notice.

A PCR test is required on day two of your return from a non-red list country.

If a traveller has not had two vaccinations, a covid-19 test is still required ahead of travel as well as PCR tests on day two and eight of your return. Test to release is also available to reduce the self-isolation period.

Some insurers might not offer covid cover to unvaccinated travellers so check your policy details.

Make sure you check the FCDO advice before travelling and the entry requirements for your destination.

long-stay travel insurance

Cover for long-term holidays

Long-stay travel insurance covers you for trips lasting longer than a month - usually up to 18 months.

It's perfect for backpacking, extended stays with friends or family, or if you just need to get away from the British winter.

What does long-stay travel insurance cover?

Long-stay travel insurance should include cover for:

  • Emergency medical treatment
  • Repatriation
  • Cancellation and curtailment
  • Baggage claims
  • Cash
  • Legal protection

You might be able to add on cover for adventurous activities, watersports, a cruise or a business trip.

There’ll be exclusions on your policy. For example, you might not be able to get cover for destinations The Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) has advised against and claims might be rejected if your claim’s the result of taking illegal drugs or being drunk.

Age limits and long-stay travel insurance

Some policies have upper age limits.

The length of time you’ll be covered for will probably reduce as you get older, but there are some providers who specialise in covering older travellers and don’t have an upper age limit.

It's not uncommon for long-stay travel insurance to have a minimum age too. It's usually 18, but some are available for 17 year olds.

Annual versus long-stay insurance

Annual travel insurance might seem like an alternative to long-stay insurance, they actually cover very different things

Annual trip

Annual or multi-trip insurance will cover you for two or more trips within a 365-day period.

Each individual trip can’t be longer than 31 days.

Your policy start date must be within 30 days of the day you compared travel insurance - but your trip can start later.

This cover is only for multiple, short trips. It isn’t suitable for extended holidays.

Long-stay cover

Long-stay cover - sometimes called extended or backpackers insurance - will cover you for a single trip that lasts at least a month or more.

This type of policy doesn’t cover multiple trips, it just covers one long getaway.

You might already have travel insurance

Sometimes it's included as part of a packaged bank account, or a credit card deal. Check before buying travel insurance, because having more than one policy can complicate claims.

Remember your home insurance

Most home insurance policies have a clause stating you can’t leave your property unoccupied for more than a month or so.

Read your home insurance policy to find out the specifics and give your insurer a call to let them know about your trip.

You might need dedicated unoccupied property insurance if you plan to be away for a long time.

[1] introduces customers to which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.'s relationship with is limited to that of a business partnership, no common ownership or control rights exist between us. Please note, we cannot be held responsible for the content of external websites and by using the links stated to access these separate websites you will be subject to the terms of use applying to those sites

GoCompare uses cookies. By using the website you agree with our use of cookies.