Van insurance

Compare cheap van insurance quotes and you could save up to £238[1]

4.3 out of 5

Customer satisfaction rating on[3]

[1]51% of consumers could save up to £238.58

Three great reasons to compare van insurance

Compare van insurance to find the right policy at the right price. Your policy will protect you, your van and all its contents, so you can confidently go about your business knowing you're fully covered. We'll help you compare comprehensive, third party, fire and theft, or third party only cover that suits courier, haulage and goods in transit drivers, whatever van you're driving.

Get your van covered

It's a legal requirement to have van insurance. Whether you use your van for business or pleasure, the right policy can offer peace of mind.

But van insurance differs from car insurance, particularly if you use it for business.

You’ll need to decide on the level of cover and type of insurance you need - and that’ll depend on how you use your van.

What are the levels of van insurance cover?

There are three levels of van insurance to choose from. Make sure you choose insurance that’s right for you and how you use your van.


Insures your van against theft and fire, as well as proving cover for you, your vehicle and third parties involved in motoring incidents.

Third party, fire and theft

TPFT will insure you for damage or injury to third parties, and for fire damage or theft of your vehicle.

Third party only (TPO)

This only covers injuries or damages to a third party – it’s the minimum level of cover required by law.

Start your van insurance quote with us

Getting new van insurance quotes is a short and easy process - we only need a few details to get you covered:

  1. Your details

    Contact info, job description and driving history

  2. Van details

    Reg plate, make, model and estimated value

  3. Your plan for the van

    Intended usage, yearly mileage and where it’ll be parked

  4. Your modifications

    Declare any changes you’ve made to your van

What types of van insurance are there?

How you use your van is defined much more strictly than with a car. You’ll need to work out whether you need commercial or private insurance first, and then how you intend to use it.

  • Social use

    For private use, like visiting friends and family and doing the shopping, but not commuting.

    Find out more
  • Carriage of own goods

    If you use your van socially and to travel for work while transporting tools or materials.

    Find out more
  • Haulage

    For social use, as well as delivering goods (generally long distances) to one destination.

    Find out more
  • Courier

    Social use and carriage of goods for hire and reward – making multiple deliveries within a localised area.

    Find out more

How to cut the cost of your van insurance

Here’s 10 ways you could make your van insurance cheaper:

  1. Size matters

    Smaller van, smaller engine, often equals smaller risk

  2. Pay annually

    If you can afford it, it’s usually cheaper to pay for your insurance in one go

  3. Change isn’t always good

    Try to avoid modifying your van as it can make insurance more expensive

  4. Improve security

    Alarms, trackers and immobilisers may lower your premiums

  5. No claims discount

    Build up your NCD

  6. Limit your mileage

    Avoid unnecessary trips where possible, but be honest with your estimate

  7. Park your van safely overnight

    If you’ve got a garage or driveway, make use of it

  8. Watch out for hidden extras

    Make sure you’re only paying for cover you want

  9. Improve your driving

    Take an advanced driving course, like Pass Plus

  10. Compare van insurance

    Don’t just renew - shop around for the right quote

More options to choose from

The type of cover and van insurance you can get are pretty varied. It’s important to make sure you’re getting the right cover, so here are some other policies to help you make an informed choice.

Vehicle fleet insurance

If you run a business with more than one vehicle, this cover could be for you.

Find out more >

Any driver van insurance

Can any Tom, Dick or Zoe drive your van?

Find out more >

Classic van cover

Make sure you’ve got the right protection for your prized motor.

Find out more >

Insurance for your minibus

The type of cover you’ll need for a minibus or MPV depends on the vehicle and usage…

Find out more >

Pick-up protection

If your motor has a front cab and an open cargo area, you might need this insurance.

Find out more >

Frequently asked questions

  • How can your job affect your van insurance?

    Some jobs require you to travel a lot or carry around expensive stock in your van. Even if you don’t use your van for work, you might still be charged higher premiums if your job is deemed risky.

  • Why is van insurance so expensive for young drivers?

    It’s not so much about age, as about experience. Inexperienced drivers are a high risk to insurers, so van insurance premiums are adjusted to account for the likelihood of needing to pay out for a claim.

  • Can I add someone else to my van insurance policy?

    You can, but whether an insurer will give you a quote depends on the other drivers’ details. Remember that putting an inexperienced driver on your policy could push up your premiums. Incorrect information could invalidate your policy so be honest about who the main driver is.

  • Can you use a no-claims discount on van insurance?

    If you have an existing NCD for a car you owned previously, then it’s unlikely you’ll be able to transfer it to a van insurance policy, but ask your insurer to make sure.

  • Can I cancel my van insurance?

    Yes, but it depends on your insurer how much they’ll charge you. Whether you cancel within the 14-day cooling-off period or not, you may be charged an admin fee and an amount equal to the cost of cover provided so far. Some insurers might not charge an admin fee and you should get a pro rata refund.

Load more

[1]Price savings are based on independent research by Consumer Intelligence, conducted between 1 April to 30 April 2019: It compared 11 insurers from our panel and found 51% could achieve a saving of up to £238.58 with us on their van insurance

GoCompare uses cookies. By using the website you agree with our use of cookies. Continue Find out how to manage cookies and view our policy here