Commercial van insurance

Compare quotes and make sure your work van is protected

What’s commercial van insurance?

Commercial van insurance covers your company work vans and personal or professional possessions, like tools. You’ll hear it called business or company van insurance too.

It can cover travel to multiple places of work, as well as the transport of goods and materials.

You can also get add-ons to enhance your cover, things like courtesy van hire and breakdown assistance. They can help minimise the impact of any accident or theft on your business.

Classifications of commercial van insurance

There are three classifications under commercial van insurance, depending on what you use it for.

  • Carriage of own goods

    This is if you use your van to transport business-related goods or tools, for example, if you’re a self-employed plumber or florist.

    You’ll also need this cover if you just use your van for commuting.

  • Carriage of goods for hire or reward

    If you transport goods for payment this is the option for you.

    It’s usually for those who transport goods to multiple destinations, like fast food or catalogue couriers.

  • Haulage

    Driving a long way to make a single delivery means you’ll need haulage cover for your van.

    Different insurers have varying definitions for this cover and carriage of goods for hire and reward, so double check you’re getting the right cover for your job.

Do I need commercial van insurance?

You’ll need commercial van insurance even if you only occasionally commute or your van is for business use.

For light commercial vehicles (LCVs) weighing up to 3.5 tonnes, you need commercial van insurance, but anything heavier is classed as a heavy goods vehicle (HGV) and needs a truck insurance policy.

If you use your van purely for socialising and no commuting, then you’ll need a private ‘social only’ policy.

Not sure whether you should go for private or commercial van insurance? We can help you decide.

What does commercial van insurance cover?

Depending on your policy type, commercial van insurance covers:

  • Theft, fire and vandalism
  • Accidental damage
  • Legal fees
  • Personal accident
  • Medical expenses

If you have the wrong van insurance and need to make a claim, your cover could be invalid and you’d have to pay for damages yourself

Commercial van insurance policy types

Commercial van cover has three levels of cover, just like car and motorbike insurance: third party only (TPO), third party fire and theft (TPFT) or comprehensive.

Third party only policies (TPO)

  • Third party only is the minimum level of cover required by law
  • It’ll cover you for damage your van causes to another vehicle, person or property
  • You won’t be covered if your own van needs to be repaired or replaced

Third party fire and theft insurance (TPFT)

  • Like TPO, this will cover damage caused by your van to other vehicles, people or property
  • You’ll also have cover for damage or loss as a result of fire, theft of the vehicle, or theft of any personal possessions left in the van
  • Commercial belongings aren't usually covered


  • Comprehensive commercial van insurance covers all the things TPFT does
  • It also covers repair or replacement of your vehicle after an accident, whether you were at fault or not
  • It’s the most extensive cover you can get, but there still might be optional extras you can choose from

How much is commercial van insurance?

The cost of your van insurance depends on what you use it for, what kind of van it is and what type of policy you need.

To reduce the cost of your commercial van insurance, you could improve your vehicle’s security, install internal racking to safely store equipment and use ‘how’s my driving?’ signs, to show you’re a responsible motorist.

How to get commercial van insurance

You’ll need to tell us a few things so we can show you your commercial van insurance quotes:

  1. Details about your van

    Things like the make and model of your van, or the registration number, any modifications or signage, it’s estimated market value and usage

  2. Your information

    For example your name and date of birth

  3. Your driving history

    Including your licence details and whether you want to add another driver to the policy

  4. About the insurance you want

    What level you want, when you want it to start and whether you want to pay annually or monthly

Van insurance guides and tools

GoCompare uses cookies. By using the website you agree with our use of cookies.