One-month van insurance

Compare cheap one-month van insurance quotes to get the right cover for you

Go.Compare van and toolbox

If you need access to a van for a short period of time, one-month van insurance may be just what you’ve been searching for.

Even if you’re only using the vehicle for a month, you’ll still need to be insured so you can legally drive it on the road.

Why choose one-month van insurance?

It can be quicker to take out a one-month van insurance policy than be added to the vehicle owner’s existing cover as an additional driver.

Plus, you’ll only need to pay for how long you need to use the van, rather than having months of wasted cover on an annual policy.

Also, it’s a standalone policy, which means that if you have to make a claim while driving the van, it won’t affect the owner’s no-claims bonus.

One month van insurance

When would you need it?

It could come in handy for:

  1. Short-term work

    If you need an extra van for a short amount of time, for instance, for a certain job as a tradesperson

  2. Moving house

    It could be useful if you’re moving over a number of weeks - just make sure you have goods in transit cover

  3. Transporting large items

    Some things are just too big to fit in a car - that’s when this type of cover comes in handy

  4. New employee at your company

    When someone new starts at your company, you may want to see if they’re a good fit for your business before making them an additional driver on an existing policy

  5. Replacing a van that is being repaired

    If you don’t have courtesy vehicle cover, you could use a short-term policy to keep you on the road while your usual van is getting fixed

What if one-month cover is too long?

There are other short-term options available to choose from; you can get cover from just an hour up to a few weeks.

So, whether you’ll be using a van for a day, fortnight, or a whole month, there’s a policy to suit you.

How can I buy one-month van insurance?

All you need to do is answer a few questions about yourself, the vehicle you want to cover, and your driving history.

If you do want to add an additional driver to your one-month cover, you’ll need their details too.

Once that’s done, you can choose the starting date for your policy and how long you want it to last. You’ll then be able to compare the options available to find the right fit for you.

What does it cover?

You may find that a one-month van insurance policy covers you for:

  • Any loss or damage to your van caused by an accident, fire, vandalism or theft
  • A third-party claim against you for injuring someone or damaging somebody’s property
  • Personal belongings you’ve kept in your locked van (tool or goods cover is typically not included, but may be available as an optional extra)
  • Driving in Europe, but this is dependent on the policy and will likely be third-party only

What doesn’t it cover?

Typically, you won’t be covered for:

  • Driving vans that aren’t the named vehicle on your policy
  • Any additional drivers
  • Goods that you have in your van for hire or reward
  • Damage to a trailer or vehicle that is being towed by the insured van
  • Vehicles over 7.5 tonnes
  • Vehicles costing more than £30,000

It’s very important to check the terms and conditions of a policy before purchasing to see exactly what you’re covered for, so you don’t get caught out.

How much does it cost?

Just like all vehicle insurance policies, your premium will be calculated based on a number of different factors. This will include:

  • Your age, occupation and location
  • Your driving history – do you have any points on your licence? Have you got any driving convictions?
  • The make and model of the van and its value
  • The type of policy – more comprehensive policies will be more expensive, but you’ll have a higher level of cover
  • Optional extras – Add-ons like breakdown cover and employers’ liability insurance will make your policy more expensive, so only purchase what is necessary

Am I eligible?

It will differ between insurers but usually, you’ll need to:

  • Be 17 years or older
  • Have a full UK or EU driving licence – you may need to have held it for at least a year
  • Have no prior criminal convictions
  • Have no more than nine penalty points on your driving licence
  • Use the van for reasons covered by the policy, not for transporting people, for example

There’ll also be restrictions around the type of van you can insure, including weight, modifications and how many people it can carry.